Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 6th May 2017, 08:19 PM   #171
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
What driver are you using?

dave
Hi Dave, good to see you back
Its the Omnes Audio BB3.AL (foremely the Veravox 3)
Cheers, Rob
Old 13th July 2017, 01:28 AM   #172
Elias Zacharopoulos is offline Elias Zacharopoulos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PS: If you're serious about the FF85WK, consider the 'Enabl' technique.
It advances the chassis from 90% to 110% on the hifi-scale.
For me it seems to eliminate some of the micro-distortions that are present
in every speaker-membrane during operation.
The net result is a more holographic sound-stage.
Hallow there. What this " 'Enabl' technique " you mention is ? After some "googling" I didn't found something usefull Regards
Old 13th July 2017, 03:39 AM   #173
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Zacharopoulos View Post
Hallow there. What this " 'Enabl' technique " you mention is ? After some "googling" I didn't found something usefull Regards
diy: EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques.
Posts 13-16 have significant meat in them. You’ll have to search the tread for the tap tecnique to figure out where the rings should go (or you can email me and i can measure my templates.

Already done (my site, only source so far)
planet_10 hifi | drivers
planet_10 hifi

dave
Old 13th July 2017, 01:09 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Hallow Dave (planet10) I'm start reading. By the way, did anyone tried Scan-Speak 10F/8424 G00 on an FHmini ? Does it worth the try or it is better to start and stay to Visaton FRS8 ? I have a pair of both drivers. Furthermore I have hear (by headphones) a video in youtube with TB W4-1879 (a very expensive driver -159 Euros, in my opinion). Does it worth to spend the money for the last one? Elias
Old 14th July 2017, 12:21 AM   #175
diyAudio Member

Default Dave a video

Hallow Dave Here is the video I mentioned about TB W4-1879 Tang Band W4-1879 jazz - YouTube Unfortunately I didn't found any complex multi-instrumment staf to hear. Have you something to sujest ? Elias
Old 14th July 2017, 12:52 AM   #176
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1/ YouTube Videos — any recording of a system — are not at all good for evaluating anything. The output is covolved with a whole swath of other stuff that negates any benefit.

2/ We have a pair of these. They are OK but not great, certainly not worth the asking price. And the pair matching on the ones we have is not very good. Also, one of the leading proponents of these for one of his commercial products is now touting the Mark Audio Alpair 10p as an upgrade.

dave
Old 14th July 2017, 01:10 AM   #177
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Zacharopoulos View Post
did anyone tried Scan-Speak 10F/8424 G00 on an FHmini ?
We have that 10F here, it is sadly lacking at bottom & top. It is quite smooth. Many websites more accurately call it a midrange The less expensive 10F/8414G-10 has a much better response range and is likely the best bet for FH-Lite. I a planning on getting some of these in my next Madisound order.

At least here in North America the Fostex FF85wk and the Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 (or either of the A6.2) are less expensive and known to be very good.

Quote:
stay to Visaton FRS8 ? I have a pair of both drivers.
I am not familar with that Visaton so i cannot say. Is that the one that is highly regarded or the cheap one?

dave

PS: we build our FH-Lites with a simple supraBaffle that allows easy swapping of drivers (+ we have 3 pair, currently w FF85wKeN, Alpair 5.2eN, and an unobtainium TandBand that is outstanding)
Old 14th July 2017, 10:38 AM   #178
twocents is online now twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The less expensive 10F/8414G-10 has a much better response range and is likely the best bet for FH-Lite. I a planning on getting some of these in my next Madisound order.
Hi Dave, I see this Scanspeak is a 4" driver - will it fit in the FH Lite? Looks like a nice driver though - might work better in the MK3. Trust you will let us know in future.
Old 14th July 2017, 10:54 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

Default Hallow again Dave

FRS8 is the cheap one. Not bad in a sealed 1,3 lt aluminum (electric junction) box. The rest (Alpair, Fostex,) are not available in Greece (and shipping cost is rather high ! Unfortunately !!! ) . Thanks for the advice . When I got 10F/8424G00, I got also a pair of tympany Passive radiator of the same diameter, planning to use it on a vented box together with a pair of Focal TN46 tweeter with XP around 5,6KHz - to have a stereo image 60degrees wide - with bi-amplification. All this were postponed due to the birth of my daughter (it is quite time consuming to take care of a new born girl). Regards Elias

Last edited by Elias Zacharopoulos; 14th July 2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:27 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Dave I just show Alpair 10p Mark Audio Alpair 10P-A Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range and I don't like at all the curves I see. In contrast, the curves that given at B10-A10 are almost perfect. Witch of the two is the real one ? Elias

Last edited by Elias Zacharopoulos; 14th July 2017 at 11:29 AM.

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" driversHide this!Advertise here!