Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 12th March 2017, 12:11 PM   #161
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have a pair of Omnes Audio BB3.AL spare, and looking at the specs, they are very close to the FF85WK.
Do you think they might work in this design?

FS = 94Hz
VAS = 1.6L
MMS = 2.1g
SD = 29.2cm2
Qts = 0,5 (Qms=6,2, Qes=0,54)
Omnes Audio BB3.AL
Old 12th March 2017, 04:08 PM   #162
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Dave is out of commission. Chris is on holidays right now and is only checking in from time to time so please be patient awaiting an answer.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:40 AM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantstairs View Post
Would the Alpair 6 Gen1 work well in these cabs? Or would it do better in the regular size Frugal-Horn cabs?
The introduction of the Frugel-Horn Lite plans describes which drivers are suitable for the enclosures. The A6s are also mentioned but you'll have to use SupraBaffles to accommodate the larger drivers. You'll find a good description of the SB in the FH3 plan set (11th Page) titled Baffle Cutout. You can leave out the side wings if you like.

The A6s are not suitable for the larger FH3s, I think.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:49 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrank View Post
Hi, I have a pair of Omnes Audio BB3.AL spare, and looking at the specs, they are very close to the FF85WK.
Do you think they might work in this design?

FS = 94Hz
VAS = 1.6L
MMS = 2.1g
SD = 29.2cm2
Qts = 0,5 (Qms=6,2, Qes=0,54)
Omnes Audio BB3.AL
There's no reason why you can't use these drivers in the FHLs. The Aura NS3 drivers with Fs 80Hz have been successfully tried out. The MA A5.2s have Fs 101 Hz and I'm enjoying these drivers presently. Only, you will have to adjust the front dampening for the lower Fs and experiment with it to suit your taste.

I suggest that you should use removeable baffles that you can try out different drivers later, if you like.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:34 AM   #165
diyAudio Member

Thanks Musiclava for the reply. I have already read the document but it specifies the alpair 6.2 and I don't recall any mention of the gen 1. If I remember correctly gen 1 has a pensil designed for it but 6.2 was deemed unsuitable. So would like some reassurance that it is a good fit in this cab before cutting wood.
Old 21st March 2017, 01:21 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantstairs View Post
...I have already read the document but it specifies the alpair 6.2 and I don't recall any mention of the gen 1. If I remember correctly gen 1 has a pensil designed for it but 6.2 was deemed unsuitable. So would like some reassurance that it is a good fit in this cab before cutting wood.
Hi giantstairs,

The pensil series is a driver-specific design. The Pensil was designed for the A6.1 and hence is unsuitable for the A6.2. The TSPs of both drivers differ from each other.

On the other hand, the FHLs, like the larger FH3, is a flexible design that can accommodate a large variety of 3” to 3.5” drivers, your A6.1 included, although it was not mentioned in the list. The rider is that you must be prepared to experiment with the front dampening to get the correct sound quality and to suit your taste. The original FHL was designed around the Fostex FF85WK so the published dampening quantities are suitable for these drivers. This will also serve as a guideline for experimenting with your own drivers. I’ve already tried out four different drivers so far and have faced no difficulty whatsoever. I plan to try out more drivers in future.

Go ahead with your build. Nothing’s going to go wrong. Just be prepared to spare some time for tweaking the front dampening. Good luck!
Old 21st March 2017, 04:30 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Just the push I needed to get these started.

Will report back but may take a while, I've got a few projects further up the queue.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:00 AM   #168
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiklava79 View Post
There's no reason why you can't use these drivers in the FHLs. The Aura NS3 drivers with Fs 80Hz have been successfully tried out. The MA A5.2s have Fs 101 Hz and I'm enjoying these drivers presently. Only, you will have to adjust the front dampening for the lower Fs and experiment with it to suit your taste.

I suggest that you should use removeable baffles that you can try out different drivers later, if you like.
Thanks very much, I'll give it a try!

Hide this!Advertise here!