Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 2nd August 2016, 07:01 PM   #101
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default hi chris...thanks for the input (both you and dave)

It's up to my new relation (by way of marriage). Trying to help him get back into audio. He's a retire electrical engineer, just can't be bothered with doing any design work now. It's really unto him to decide on an amp. I suggested Frugalhorns for loudspeakers (8' x 8' room opening into a larger space). Mostly near field listening. Not too much large scale orchestral works.

Regarding the Hemps, they're currently in the Demetri enclosures. I've added the PE ribbon tweeters (thanks Moray) with a cap in series to limit the possibility of damage. Trying my old Nelson Pass design Nakamichi SR-2A "STASIS receiver with them. Best match for them yet. More extended frequency extremes compared to the Assemblage amp/preamp now in my front room.

So this new relation is looking for a good amp( class A, say 5-10 Watts/ch); a pair of loudspeakers (I think he likes the idea of the Frugalhorns) and a DAC. He'd prefer "kits", but can do point to point wiring and is willing to. He uses a Mac mini and a MacBook for a source.

I think he'll shy away from the 3" Frugalhorn "Lites"....and go with the standard Frugalhorns as dave suggested. Sorry for taking up the space (an off topic too)
Old 20th August 2016, 12:20 PM   #102
musiklava79 is offline musiklava79  India
diyAudio Member

Default Help!

I finally received my Alpair 5.2 drivers. Theyre real beauties. Unlike the Fostex drivers with which you get sheets of information in the boxes, the Alpair box did not contain even a single information leaflet. These are my first Mark Audio drivers so Im in unfamiliar territory.

Heres what Id like to know

1) The box had four gold-plated tabs and two each of red and blue plastic sleeves. What do I have to with these?
2) How is the self-adhesive gasket attached? Sticker side to the inside of driver bezel or to the baffle?
3) Do I have to follow the same break-in procedure as with other Mark Audio drivers?
4) What will be a good starting point weight-wise for the front damping in the FLHs (once I complete the mandatory break-in hours)?

Can anyone help me out please?
Old 20th August 2016, 03:22 PM   #103
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiklava79 View Post
1) The box had four gold-plated tabs and two each of red and blue plastic sleeves. What do I have to with these?
I put them in a little box and leave them there. These are the slide on terminal connectors particularily for those that use too thick a wire (we suggest 24g solid core wire)

Quote:
2) How is the self-adhesive gasket attached? Sticker side to the inside of driver bezel or to the baffle?
Stick it to the driver.

Quote:
3) Do I have to follow the same break-in procedure as with other Mark Audio drivers?
Yes

Quote:
4) What will be a good starting point weight-wise for the front damping in the FLHs (once I complete the mandatory break-in hours)?
FLH? Do you mean Frugel-Horn Lite (FHL)? Start with about 10g.

dave
Old 20th August 2016, 04:05 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

FLH? Do you mean Frugel-Horn Lite (FHL)? Start with about 10g.

dave
Thanks for the quick reply, Dave.

My apologies. I meant FHLs. That was a typo.
Old 13th November 2016, 02:55 PM   #105
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiklava79 View Post
I finally received my Alpair 5.2 drivers.
Musiklava - I am burning to "hear" what those Alpair drivers sound like. Is there a notable difference/improvement over the preferred FF85WK drivers?

I am planning and budgeting hard on this side to build FHL's and an ACA amp - sounds like a good combo.

- Jerry
Old 14th November 2016, 06:18 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyRookie View Post
Musiklava - I am burning to "hear" what those Alpair drivers sound like. Is there a notable difference/improvement over the preferred FF85WK drivers?

I am planning and budgeting hard on this side to build FHL's and an ACA amp - sounds like a good combo.

- Jerry
Hi diyRookie,

I completed breaking-in the Alpair 5.2 drivers some days ago. To date they've done some 250 hours in ~3 litre vented and undamped enclosures. Even in these, while the drivers were opening up, one could make out their true capabilities. They are indeed smooth and sound really great. Even I can't wait to mount them on the FHLs! :

I've almost completed building my second FHL pair. Only the finishing touches remain to be done. These will permanently house the Fostex FF85Wk drivers. Meanwhile I'll mount the Alpair 5.2s in the first pair and once everything is properly set up and tuned we can do a formal A-B comparison of both the different drivers. So I guess you’ll have to wait for some more time….

Why don’t you go ahead with your FHL build? You won’t regret it. The ACA sounds great with the Fostex drivers. I haven’t yet tried the ACA-Alpair combination.
Old 15th November 2016, 11:04 AM   #107
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair drivers for FHL

I am waiting to hear Musiklava79's findings of the Alpair 5.2 drivers. So far there is very little info on Alpair drivers in FHL's.

I did find another thread started by Dave (Planet10) a few months back, which was an attempt to try the Alpair 5.2 in different enclosures, including a FHL. Unfortunately no comparison or findings have been made (or posted) yet. I think it could be because Dave is suffering from ill health I read somewhere.

Guess we will just have to wait.
Old 15th November 2016, 11:47 AM   #108
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dave is unfortunately out of action for the time being while he deals with health issues. We hope he will be sufficiently recovered to participate once again in a few weeks; in the meantime Chris, Cal and I are attempting to cover as best we can for non-commercial matters. Many thanks for your understanding.
Old 15th November 2016, 12:28 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyRookie View Post
....Guess we will just have to wait.....
Yes, its going to be a long and anxious wait for all of us. Dave has always been around for us and readily gave his advice and guidance to those from the DIY community that needed it.

All we can do is wait and pray - pray that Dave gets well soon and back on his feet. Pray for strength and fortitude for his family members during their time of distress....
Old 15th November 2016, 12:30 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
.....in the meantime Chris, Cal and I are attempting to cover as best we can for non-commercial matters...
Thanks for the offer, Scott. We know that we can count on you all.

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" driversHide this!Advertise here!