• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Sensitivity & bass of mkIII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently in the final throes of a TubeLab SimpleSE build. With KT120s, I anticipate around 5w triode.

My Polk RT600i are 90db and go down to 39hz (according to the manuf. data sheets).

However, thinking ahead, I'd like to build a pair of single-drivers with a similar bass extension to my Polks as I've never felt like I needed more bass for music listening.

Can the mkIII's get me a similar bass extension with a higher sensitivity? I suppose it mostly boils down to the choice of drivers?

Charlie

If your space and budget can allow, the larger FHXL and either of the model 10s would be a better bet - the 10.3 has a closer tonal balance to the 7.3, but gives up 2 dB sensitivity to the 10P (87.988 vs 89.645 respectively) - both extend much deeper than the 7

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The specs i found for this polk said 45 Hz extention. The FH3 is not designed to go that low, but with the right driver, in the right room, with the right placement it probably can, but not with any of the more efficient drivers.

The FHXL will. A10p is about 90dB (but with no XO, likely a much easier load than your Polks, more important for SE amps than actual efficiency), the FF165wk about a dB more.

Given the low price of the Polks, i have little doubt that either of these Frugel-Horns will have more finesse, detail, and bring you closer tothemusic.

dave

Depends on the driver, and to a lesser degree placement in the room but the FH3 was intended for the smaller size class of 3-4" - my personal favorite so far has been a very special version of the Alpair7 - MAOP7. I'm not aware of any in room frequency response measurements of the FH3 / 7.3, but my guess would be mid to low 40s

If you want higher sensitivity and bass extension with your KT120 SE, you should consider the larger FHXL enclosure and either of the Alpair 10s, or even FF165WK - the latter I've not heard yet, but there's no reason it shouldn't work - all of them would dig deeper than the 7s.

To give a sense of scale, below is FH3 with the white coned MAOP7, and initial unfinished prototype of FHXL with A10P

Attachments

• FH3-FHXL001.JPG
    FH3-FHXL001.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 158
  • FH3-FHXL003.JPG
    FH3-FHXL003.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.