CNC kits for Mark Audio. UK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 15th January 2015, 10:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CNC kits for Mark Audio. UK

Ive been tweaking Scott L's Pensil design ready to be CNC'd as a flat pack kit. Which I am hoping to make in the next two weeks. Along with his Simple reflex design (which with a port change can be used for 10.3/10p, wooden port included).

These are to be made from precision cut 18mm Birch Ply. With rebates so the panels clip together, with bracing, driver cutouts chamfered at the back, and with any rounders done, removable backs with countersunk screw heads. Would just require glue and some clamps to assemble. And materials to finish.

Would anyone be interested in purchasing these as a kit. Other designs can be made.

The price will include a 20 royalty fee to Scott. If there is some interest I can estimate a kit price based on numbers.
Old 15th January 2015, 06:03 PM   #2
AndrewR is offline AndrewR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Eventually a 10.3 M Pensil. You're late again �� I bought my A7m's from Europe just before you offered them. Last weekend I completed my Pensil cabinet!

One day I may go for a Pensil 10.3M but in the meantime I'll post my experiences of the 7.3.

Likely to be next year for me.

Andrew
Old 15th January 2015, 07:43 PM   #3
AndrewR is offline AndrewR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That was a winky after the "you're late again" Phone smilies don't seem to work on forums.

Best of luck, count me as a possible customer in a year.

Andrew
Old 15th January 2015, 07:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Any thoughts on a flat pack for the FHxl with Alpair 10.3M? I'm currently breaking in a pair of 10.3s whilst trying to source suitable Birch ply, I have the FHxl design from Dave (Planet 10), so would be interested if it's in your plans.
Old 15th January 2015, 07:56 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

once all the appropriate licensing and permissions from copyright holders is taken care of - the more the merrier AFAIC

it's taken some time to establish this traction, but this is very much what key players had in mind.

There may of course be designs by the New Mark Audio / Sota team that would still be considered proprietary

Last edited by chrisb; 15th January 2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 15th January 2015, 08:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Easy peasy. Ill get the plans from Dave and make sure he is ok with it. I'm looking to build a few designs to evaluate them. So more the merrier.

Any other requests?
Old 15th January 2015, 09:14 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

see line one above - there are other parties to be consulted
Old 15th January 2015, 09:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sure thing. I won't produce anything for sale without permission from those who need to grant it and dues paid.
Old 15th January 2015, 11:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think that what Chrisb is trying to say, and if I recall right, the Pensils designs where done by Scottmoose but are property of MarkAudio. They have paid for them and then gave it for free to non commercial users.
On the other hand, it's nice for UK guys to have this CNC option
Old 16th January 2015, 01:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Glad there's interest in supporting Louis's mini-venture. He's done the right thing by asking permission to use the Pensil designs for commercial purposes and agreeing to pay royalties to Scott's in support of his work.

We have seen a few examples of Pensils having other brand drivers installed. Bad from the technical persecutive as the alignments won't function correctly, breaches the design rights and it dis-repects the originators.

Anyone wishing to make seek the use of MarkAudio designs can make contact via email: support@markaudio.com

Thanks
Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!