"Tweaking" the Super Pensil 12.2p - Advice? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 24th December 2014, 06:20 PM   #1
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Tweaking" the Super Pensil 12.2p - Advice?

I've got them built, and up and running (see thread here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post4159740). They sound terrific so far, but I'm wondering what improvements I can expect with stuffing and/or positioning tweaks. Right now, they are stuffed with 1# of poly fill (well teased) per cabinet. I also have the upper walls lined with 1/8" F11 acoustical felt. They are currently positioned about 36" from the back wall and about 13" off the side walls (to the center of the baffle), with a little toe in (see picture). They are 110" apart (center to center) and my listening position is about 100" back (I can adjust that easily enough).

Not knowing what these can ultimately achieve, I'm wondering what I can expect with more/less stuffing or a different positioning set-up. Sick with they are front ported, I'm thinking that the distance from the rear wall isn't critical (I may be wring) but I'm not so sure about the side wall distance.

Any suggestions? It's easy enough to change the position (although I'd like to leave my Forte II's in relatively the same place). But I need to pull the drivers to adjust the stuffing, and I dont want to do that any more often than absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your sage advice and suggestions...

Tom
Old 24th December 2014, 07:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the front wall as it is currently...
Old 24th December 2014, 08:46 PM   #3
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

1) Hundred of hours of operating before they fully settle in
2) What are you powering them with?

Due to their size, all of my listening to this combo have been at Jeff's place with either of his two tube amps ( Pete Millett's Engineer's amp, or Jolida 302) .

These puppies do not camouflage any idiosyncrasies of upstream components - you might find that once they've settled in, that might be the best place to look at upgrades

of course, you need to invest in "special" speaker wire
Old 24th December 2014, 08:59 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
of course, you need to invest in "special" speaker wire
It does take some time to unravel the wires in a CAT5/6 cable, and then for best performance build them into a cable.

dave
Old 24th December 2014, 09:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Powered by my fully rebuilt Fisher 400. Front end is an Empire 208/Jelco 750D/Denon DL-103r table into a Parks Audio Budgie tubed phono preamp. So while not the best, certainly not a slouch. Next step is a SET amp after the holidays...
Old 25th December 2014, 04:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

To reiterate, I'm in no way dissatisfied with them at this point, I'm just curious what effect stuffing and placement tweaking will have.
Old 25th December 2014, 06:35 AM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Tom,

Beautiful build. Enjoy!

Looks like you all got the basics in place already regarding the stuffing and lining. The A12P does very well in the Super Pensil cabinet.
Old 25th December 2014, 04:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Looks like you all got the basics in place already regarding the stuffing and lining. The A12P does very well in the Super Pensil cabinet.
Thanks, zman. I'll let them run in for a while to see how they improve on their own before I make any potential adjustments.

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!