• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

FE103E TQWT ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave/Scott -

Just wondering if you ever worked out a TQWT design for the FE103E ?
I have a pair, intended for use on the TV , and right now it would be a good time to dig them out and use a project like this as a 'taster' for a bigger TQWT , eg. for Audax PR240Z0 or a dual-woof design like the WoofTL which Bud Purvine is so fond of !

I have a had a brief look at getting Martin's software and launching into MathCad ( on which I am a total beginner ) , but it seems you have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it, so I stalled a bit, and if you have something where you've already brought all your knowledge to bear, that would be very convenient !

Thanks -
Mark

mock-up the overall dimensions from cardboard, and you might be surprised how diminutive the boxes are - much smaller than they sound, that's for sure

another excellent performer, if you can stretch your budget to afford another pair of the 103s, are the dual driver BD pipes - can't remember exactly how many pairs of these little mothers we built, but they were tons o' fun

BD-Pipes

I think it's more that they are the wrong shape for what I had in mind, Chris. The TV is on a big bookshelf in a sort of arrangement with big shelves of stuff above and below . Height is a problem .
The original idea I had of a 'Solo103' Onken-type box is prob. the best for this really .

Having also played around with an ML-TL design on Hornresp, I ran into a fairly obvious problem of the excursion of the 103E which will run out of steam very early at eg. 100Hz, so I suppose thats why you need to go to more of a horn-like loading to get the best out of these .

If you're able to HP filter them and supplement with separate woofer(s ) - stereo probably best above 100Hz and depending on room size - you'll be fine with a small vented enclosure for the 103. The FF105WK would be less restricted, I think but if you already have the drivers ....

Yes Chris - I already have the drivers .
I think biamping this thing would be great for a proper 'sorted' system, I agree.
I should put out a few more of the background aims/compromises here so it makes more sense -
I want to (i) use the FE103E's ( finally ! )
(ii) improve on the crappy built-in TV speakers without building something too elaborate or big . Single-driver is nice for the improved vocal rendition over 2-way .
(iii) Try out a new sort of enclosure as a trial for a bigger unit for the HiFi
(iv) Use the 103's for some first efforts at EnABL , with Bud's help .

After a lot of playing around on Hornresp ( I have it and know how to use it , haven't got up to speed to find Martin's programs so far ) , I realised that there isn't much to choose re. driver displacement between TL, TQWT and ML-TL , around the 100Hz area . I guess I can only control driver displacement by firing into a small space or using horn loading, so that efficiency goes up . As it is, I should get 80db/1m @ 100Hz , so that's OK for TV .

The MLTL looked best for resonances so I tried to refine that as best I could . I have a design and will likely launch into some wood-cutting this weekend ( free weekends need to be grabbed with both hands ! ) .
If anyone wants to lob this into Martin's software and let me know if it's going to be a disaster, please tell me soon ! Thanks .

Hornresp listing attached - hopefully it's clear - just a parallel pipe, offset driver, with a short slot vent at the end .

Attachments

• FE103MLTL_hornresp.JPG
    FE103MLTL_hornresp.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 277
  • FE103MLTL_Schem.JPG
    FE103MLTL_Schem.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 277
If compact is on the short list of factors for your calculus, Dr Lindgren has drafted (I mean modelled with MJK's worksheets, I believe) a quite flexible folded TL/ labyrinth design for 3- 4" drivers, of which I've built pairs for several models. They work quite well with Mark Audio A6, Fostex FF85&105, and I'd not be surprised if one existed or could be calculated for the FE 103- just don't expect the same LF performance as with the WKs- which are the best value in the current Fostex line for someone not wanting a BLH for the 126E, AFAIC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.