Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 10th October 2016, 05:24 PM   #321
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Tempting to try a 12PW / 6P combo
Old 10th October 2016, 05:29 PM   #322
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.
Yes. Too many projects, too little time :^)

dave
Old 14th October 2016, 05:36 AM   #323
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Using an A10P with a 1st order high pass crossover at 400hz, is there any reasonable dynamic limitation for home use?

In such an application, is it reasonable to expect long-term durability of the A10 in "normal" use without sonic degradation?
Old 14th October 2016, 05:38 AM   #324
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, yes (i’d guess).

dave
Old 14th October 2016, 05:44 AM   #325
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Nobody would know more than you, Dave. That's why I asked.

I don't abuse systems, but, as you know, I have not had the best of luck with A10Ms. I'm hoping the paper cones will not break up as bad as the metal cones.
Old 25th March 2018, 02:12 PM   #326
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
The A7P and the A12PW sure look like candidates for as 1st order series XO. Pretty much pick your XO point anywhere for ~200Hz to 5kHz. IMO best choices seem to be at the baffle step, which the A12PW looks to take care of on its own, or 3-5kHz where the A12PW starts to go away. The problem with the high XO is going to be dispersion (maybe, since we don't have off-axis plots yet). The problem with the low XO is it wastes the bulk of the range of a very smooth midrange driver.

So, back to IMO. The A12PW looks to me to be a super choice for a wide range mid in a 3-way with a real woofer below, say, 100-150Hz and a real tweeter in a wave guide above 5kHz or so. The A7P is pretty much a drop-in for the A7.3. You get the difference in sound of the two cone materials, which I won't be able to comment on for 2-3 months after Madisound sends me the drivers.

Here's my logic on not using the A12PW in a FAST implementation. Chest thumping takes 85dB @ 80Hz at the listening chair. I have discovered this by experimentation. Any less volume, no thump. Now Mark has been very straight forward advertising the A12PW as a light weight driver. It's not going to survive as the bottom end driver at a frat party. So I will be crossing my FAST to a pair of 12" heavy duty woofers. Those of you who know my listening habits know I would never spend any time listening at over 75dB average for any time, but demos are demos and shows are shows. (BTW, young'ns, if you are listening at chest-thumping levels, you are destroying your ears. I am 70 years old. I never listened to rock and high levers or whet to concerts and I can still hear above 12kHz. You will never get that chance.)

The A7P will go straight into my little folded TL. I never did a BR for the A7.3, and I have no interest in something like that. I do think that the A7P might do well in a small stand mounted BVR with F10 around 50Hz or so. I might give that a try.

Bob
Can anyone suggest a woofer that would offer the "chest thump" and work well in place of the 12PW for this combination? Bob mentions a pair of 12 inch woofers, but no specifics. I was thinking of the Dayton RS-225 (I know, it's a 10 inch, but it's a starting point...), but I don't know what the crossover would need to be.
Unfortunately, I don't have the design acumen of many of you, so I have come to depend on your generous sharing to build my speakers.
Thanks,
Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 25th March 2018, 02:21 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

a pair of Dayton ES180ti's?
Old 25th March 2018, 02:47 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
a pair of Dayton ES180ti's?
Thanks Bill, that looks interesting.
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 25th March 2018, 02:50 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

maybe not a true 'chest thump', but they dig deep, low 30s
Old 25th March 2018, 02:58 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejennens View Post
Can anyone suggest a woofer that would offer the "chest thump" and work well in place of the 12PW for this combination? Bob mentions a pair of 12 inch woofers, but no specifics. I was thinking of the Dayton RS-225 (I know, it's a 10 inch, but it's a starting point...), but I don't know what the crossover would need to be.
Unfortunately, I don't have the design acumen of many of you, so I have come to depend on your generous sharing to build my speakers.
Thanks,
Mike
Oops, RS-270....

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.Hide this!Advertise here!