Mark Audio Alpair 10.x/FF165wk compact Floorstander Intro & Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 20th July 2014, 10:17 PM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Mark Audio Alpair 10.x/FF165wk compact Floorstander Intro & Questions

We have developed a new compact floorstander for the Alpair 10p, A10.3, A10.2 and Fostex FF165wk.

As well as plans for these going into the appropriate plan-sets, we are planning on doing flat-paks of these, and want to inquire as to whether front or rear vent is preferred (designer prefers the latter)

Chris has a new front row for his HT based on the A10p prototypes (with metal grills -- the Pensil 7 for comparison).

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is an extents drawing which shows how compact these are. A10p, A10.2, FF165wk are the sameoutside demensions, the A10.3 is narrower (same as the EL70 trapezoid FS these were developed from (bottom picture)

The original MAr-Ken70 trapezoid Floorstander (the small speaker in front, in solid yellow cedar by Bernie)

dave
Old 21st July 2014, 07:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be inclined toward a rear vent to keep the front baffle as clean as possible -also gives an aesthetic consistency to FH3.
Old 22nd July 2014, 03:29 PM   #3
toobhed is online now toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,
I really like the look and expected positive WAP on these, and would be most interested in the A10.3.....if I had my choice I'd have a preference for front vent but if flat pacs end up rear vent, that would be fine. Any idea when then fpacs may be available?

Thanks,
Mario
Old 22nd July 2014, 04:12 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mario - once we settle on details to rationalize for different vent lengths, shouldn't take too long.

Note that the port for 10.2 is substantially longer, and as I prefer to dado that panel in on one side, it requires a separate production program.

FWIW, after playing around with a listening session this weekend (listened to total of 3 different enclosure/driver combos in 2 different rooms, and moved 2 others around), I'd tend to agree with Scott on the aesthetics of rear vent.

Last edited by chrisb; 22nd July 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sounds good Chris and I'm amenable to either port configuration,
Mario
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty pumped up about this mini-floorstander, perfect size really, for my lonely MA10.3 drivers. I think they'll work well on a number of levels in my increasingly crowded back room/workshop!

Can any comments be made regarding sonics? How might they compare to pencils (A7.3 and A12P) or slot-port BR 10.2 ala TwinAudio? Thanks,

Mario
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:33 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Let me fire up the Pensil7s this evening for a quick comparison.

What I can say after last weekend's session is that with either the 10P or 10.3, the FHXL throw a much wider and deeper soundstage - but at the premium of substantially larger footprint. Photos of that to follow

The same would likely be true of the FH3 vs Pensil, but as my FH3 have the MAOP7s, that's not exactly a fair comparison.

The other enclosure types I can't comment on - unless Jeff wants to lend these an ear over the weekend to compare to the A12P SuperPensils
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The other enclosure types I can't comment on - unless Jeff wants to lend these an ear over the weekend to compare to the A12P SuperPensils
Yes please. I'll shoot you an email, as my cell is AWOL.

jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!