• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Replacement drivers for MarKen-10 cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

A little while ago I decided to build some MarKen-10 cabinets for a spare pair of Alpair 10 drivers, all went well until a friend wanted to buy them, a week later they were returned with the drivers creased from edge to centre.

Needless to say no more builds for him!

I have decided to reuse the cabinets if possible, so the question is will the current Alpair 10.2 or the 10P work (well) in these boxes?

If my memory serves me well there was a post several years ago which suggested a method of reducing the xmax by adding a resistor, however I cannot find it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Alan

There is no "current" Alpair 10.2 - the 10.3 metal is somewhat different in terms of optimal enclosure volumes and tuning, etc. Yes, the newer drivers could drop right in, but performance would be compromised somewhat. As I think Dave has posted within the past few days, he's been revisiting the math on these, and may be able to comment. Unfortunately he has been hit by a power outage yesterday, and will likely be later this evening at the earliest before fully back on line and able to access those libraries and forward or publish new drawings - I don't think I've even seen any of them yet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alpair 10.2 are close enuff to original Alpair 10 to work -- there may still be some of those kicking around Europe. The new A10.3 and A10p need to be tuned higher. There is a way to do this (we did it in our prototype Em-Ken), but it may not be all that pretty.

It involves shortening the vents, not easy to do on the inside. But one can open up the sides of the cabinet where the vent slots are to shorten them at the output end. I can work out the detail if you'd like. Probably best to use the A10p for this, gives a bit more wiggle room.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.