• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil 10P for kitchen attic ceiling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning a set of pensil 10P for installation in a kitchen attic ceiling as part of a remodel. I wasn't sure if I should start here or in the full range forum, so let me know.

I am concerned about several things I would like some feedback on:

First I am concerned about dispersion with a downward facing driver. But currently I see it as the best option. I am specifically considering the 10P for the apparently superior dispersion up to 10K. I could also add a jog in the baffle of approximated 30 deg to help with this.

I would also like to chamfer the bottom corner of the enclose at approximatley 20 deg relative to the back of the enclosure, to bring the cabinet down to ~ 8 in deep at the end near the port. This allows me to more effectively wall/corner load the speaker depending on exactly where I choose to place it in the ceiling.

I plan to use hard rubber isolation to mount the enclosures along the ceiling joists. I plan to have the bulk of the front baffle co-planar with the ceiling and I expect to caulk the perimeter joint with the sheetrock.

Let me know if there is a significantly better route.

Steve

I'm curious as to why ceiling mount is considered the best option in this case - very large open floor plan?

This works well enough for restaurant background / ambient music etc, but I'd be concerned as to the overall sound quality, imaging, stereo separation, etc

Thanks for the reply.. I have chosen the ceiling because i have no wall space.

1 wall is exterior will big french doors, 1 wall is exterior all cabinets, 1 wall is interior all cabinets, 1 wall is interior all cabinets, the fourth wall is a actually a bar height counter.

I would like to add speakers, and I previously determined ceiling was the only place to fit them. This is not my primary listening room, but I would like to have the best quality given the obvious constraints.

If i could build ANY type of enclosure to be flush ceiling mounted what should it be?

What are rules of thumb that could help mitigate the above concerns?

actually, as Dave notes - the environment might not be conducive to long term durability of any untreated paper cone driver

are all cabinets / windows / doors full height?

it might well be that several smaller enclosures bracket or soffit mounted at angles, using something like the A7s or CHR70s might be more appropriate for the application - there are enclosures for these drivers that are under 6 liters ( .25 cu ft ), and I'd think the metal cones would be more resistant to humidity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.