• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

CHR 70A Gen3 Dual Driver for Pensil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice looking speakers!

I've got four of the original CHP-70's at home (CHP-70.2?) and just trying to decide what to do with them. Would this design be suitable for them? Generally, apart from looking great, would this design have any benefits over the traditional single driver Pensils or the microTowers? My main reason for looking at dual driver speakers is that they should be able to handle a little more power (I have some young children who just love playing with volume knobs....) I'm curious is the audio quality of the dual driver design is at least as good as the single driver design. If so, I'll give them a go.

I know I haven't been on here for a while, but I was rummaging through the closet the other day and saw my barely used Alpair 10.2s sitting there, still on those little 12" x 12" OBs that I made a few years back. I hate the fact that these guys have been sitting so long without use.

IF I was able to find and secure a used pair of 10.2s from someone/somewhere, would I be able to build a pair of dual driver Pensils? The reason I ask is because I was asking myself about comb filtering, then someone else mentioned it here, and Mark ended up stating it was a moot point. Although, since these are larger drivers, their centers will be further apart, so I thought that maybe comb filtering might come into play with the 10.2s.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, I see that just about all fullrange drivers are connected directly to amps, so is there no need to worry about baffle step compensation, notch filters or zobel networks with these kind of drivers?

Many thanks in advance!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

p254387409-4.jpg

@chops
It's a pity that you have probably the best bass-wise MA driver unit inside your closet :( I did almost the same with my A7 until I finished the FH3.

Don't know much about comb filter effect on these, but you could build the pensils (easy build) or the FHXL?
I'm sure the Dave or Chris will chime in, with suggestions.

That OB without an active Xover and woofer help is not going to be satisfactory enough to evaluate the driver.
Just a thought....

@chops
It's a pity that you have probably the best bass-wise MA driver unit inside your closet :( I did almost the same with my A7 until I finished the FH3.
wCH5BAEAAA8ALAAAAAAPAA8AAARr8EkJap341cTRuRigjGPiGcAkLsDiKglwFKmmAEzDLDAC0JqEYuFwNHjF2WCjcFQcxGdhCRA6AdCrY1pBJIrFJpgr8xY7xakgJTsg3oeDoUBYUgzxNqq+VhX+FgMDfSEAgoJrNRkaFooSEQAAOw==

Don't know much about comb filter effect on these, but you could build the pensils (easy build) or the FHXL?
I'm sure the Dave or Chris will chime in, with suggestions.
That OB without an active Xover and woofer help is not going to be satisfactory enough to evaluate the driver.
Just a thought....

Actually, the way I was running these was through the HT receiver's x-over. They were sitting on top of Polk PSW505 subs and powered by a little Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro good for 50 watts Class A. Both were crossed over at 100-120Hz IIRC. It wasn't the greatest, but it got the job done as far as being listenable.

I do know that vocals came across rather well, mostly female considering the small-ish baffles. Some male vocals were pretty darn good as well though.

The thing I will be concerned most about is bass capabilities. I'm used to having large main speakers such as NHT 2.9's and Polk RTi12's, both of which are quite capable of bass down to 20Hz. I've actually swapped speakers with one of my brothers for a while. He now has the NHT's and I have the Polk's. The Polk's sound just about every bit as good as the NHT's, but image better and have slightly tighter, punchier bass, especially at low volumes.

Right now I'm listening to a Blue Note acoustic jazz album in FLAC at whisper levels, and with those six 7" bass drivers, I'm still getting that deep, punchy, tactile bass. The NHT's couldn't deliver that at these levels.

My point being, I don't want to miss out on that bass, and I know the only way around it is doing something like a FAST subwoofer system, which means more money and electronics which I really don't want. If only I could do a 1.5-way system utilizing four Alpair 10.2's per channel, cutting off the two bottom drivers around 400Hz or so and letting the two top drivers playing full range.

And sorry, but it's been so long, I forgot what "FAST" stands for...

Maybe I should be starting my own thread about this as it might start going off topic from the OP.

Last edited:
'FAST' is a ludicrous acronym for 'Full Range with Subwoofer Technology' -because as everyone knows, subwoofers are 'technology' while nothing else is. :rolleyes:

Shoving a second pair of drivers into the Pensil 10.2 will significantly change the alignment -the pensils are not exempt from the laws of physics. That said, I was never overly fond of that particular box -I compromised performance somewhat to limit the size. If I get chance over the next 24 hours or so I'll see if there's any chance. Double 10.2s -you might get away with it in terms of output lobing, although dispersion off the vertical will suffer somewhat at the very least; they're really a bit big for this. You could go 1.5 way though, as noted, which would reduce this somewhat, at the expense of an LF biased balance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
'FAST' is a ludicrous acronym for 'Full Range with Subwoofer Technology' -because as everyone knows, subwoofers are 'technology' while nothing else is.

'Full Range + Subwoofer" Technology? Really should be woofer, not subwoofer.

'Full Range + Woofer" Technology = FRWT

kinda hard to pronounce.

Shoving a second pair of drivers into the Pensil 10.2 will significantly change the alignment

I assummed the cabinet would have its girth (wxd) doubled, then it would be OK.

Could be wired in series with a shunt cap to make it 1 1/2 way with no sensitivity gain (voltage amp assummed).

SHould make pretty good bass :D

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.