• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tweaking the Super Pensil Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I want to give the low freq. a boost coming from the Mark Audio A12 Super Pensils.

Current setup is Decware Mini Torii Mk II powering two A12 Super Pensils.
Turntable Source, Audio Research Tube Phono Pre.

I was thinking about getting two Yung plate amps (SD300 no boost) from Parts Express and powering two Eminence Lab 12 Pros.

Essentially I would create a sealed enclosure inside the Super Pensils for the subwoofers to give the Marks a boost below 100 Hz. They would be side mounted and I would use the pre-out on my Mini Torii to feed the plate amps.

Just wanted to see what everyone here thought before I go ripping apart my Super Pensils. :)

I have removable backs and no holey braces installed in my super pencils, so the modification would not be too hard. I would try and get at least 1 cubic ft inside my super pensils allocated for the subs.

- Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module No Boost | 301-508
- Eminence LAB 12 Professional 12" Subwoofer Speaker | 290-570

Thoughts?

My goal is to have no crossover to rob power from the Mini Torii and to not have anything digital used at all (obviously the plate amp breaks this, but I am ok with that).

Thanks!

-Ron

Last edited:
That's not 'tweaking.' That's an entire new design, from scratch, that just happens to use an existing carcass. You will need to carefully select the crossover frequency & slope on the woofers to match the response of the Alpairs in their sealed boxes -presumably you aren't planning on high-passing these? I don't have time to check at the moment, but presumably you have established you would have sufficient volume in the box to run the Lab 12s (& Alpairs for that matter) with the sealed or vented alignment you desire.

Scott,

So the Super Pensils have 3.12 cu. ft. of volume inside the box.
I am going to figure out how a sealed A12P will perform.

Another option I was thinking is running a separate sealed cabinet for mid-bass.
The Lab12s need 0.93 cu. ft and in a sealed enclosure will have a F3 of 50 Hz.

I will run some numbers and see what I come up with.

PS: Another option I was thinking is building a mid-bass cabinet and then putting a folded horn on top of it.
Not sure how the Marks will perform in a folded horn so I will do some digging.

Last edited:
As in a back horn? They work fine, although there's no point in using those > ~300Hz (asking for trouble in fact). If in a front horn, you won't want to be folding it of course if you intended it to be handling the midrange / HF duties.

Otherwise, the box carcass from what you say should have sufficient volume to allow you to partition as you feel appropriate.

As in a back horn? They work fine, although there's no point in using those > ~300Hz (asking for trouble in fact). If in a front horn, you won't want to be folding it of course if you intended it to be handling the midrange / HF duties.

Otherwise, the box carcass from what you say should have sufficient volume to allow you to partition as you feel appropriate.

So for clarification, do you x-over your Marks at 300 Hz?

I guess I should have been more open with my idea here...

I noticed the work you did helping Toppsy on his A12P + Peerless Sub combo unit.
That is something along the lines of what I was thinking.

I was listening to some Cannonball Adderley yesterday with just my Super Pensils, then I added my brothers H-Frames with Eminence 15" Alphas, only then did I hear the walking upright bass.

I am driving my system with a Decware Mini Torii MkII which is dual mono blocks at pushing about 4 WPC. Whatever I go with to augment the low freq will either need to be powered via a plate amp or similar. The nice thing about the plate amp is that it has the x-over built in.

Thoughts?

I was listening to some Cannonball Adderley yesterday with just my Super Pensils, then I added my brothers H-Frames with Eminence 15" Alphas, only then did I hear the walking upright bass.

I am driving my system with a Decware Mini Torii MkII which is dual mono blocks at pushing about 4 WPC.

Even with modest SE power, you should be hearing bass lines without woofer support. How exactly (and with what) did you stuff your Super Pencils?

jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am going to figure out how a sealed A12P will perform

364163d1375640893-alpair-10p-preview-a122p-sealed.gif

Looks like 8 litres for the A12.2p and an XO ~105 Hz

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.