• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

WoofT height?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 5 & 1/4" monacor at the bottom of page 1?

A pair fit in the same box (slightly longer vent), goes about 5 Hz lower and is a more appropriate sensitivity for a passive XO. That they could fit on the front means a higher XO is possible making a passive XO more managable (i'd suggets 3mH + 30 uF series as a 1st pass)

And, at least based on the published FR, less problematic.

dave

That is abosultely superb, thank you!

The Seas drivers are more appealing I think. Is that a x2 per box so 4 in total or 1 per box?

I'll give it a rest for a while now whilst I get cracking getting the parts together and making the boxes. Once I'm all built and ready to go I'll come back to the thread to chat about the PLLXO if thats ok?

Once again, thank you, I'm really looking forward to the results!!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Seas drivers are more appealing I think. Is that a x2 per box so 4 in total or 1 per box?

2 per box. You will need to go active as that makes them quite a bit more sensitive than would be needed for a passive XO.

I'll give it a rest for a while now whilst I get cracking getting the parts together and making the boxes. Once I'm all built and ready to go I'll come back to the thread to chat about the PLLXO if thats ok?

Sure.

dave

20131202_192811.jpg

I had the mar ken's up and running for the first time today. I only managed 10 minutes of listening before I had to leave for work but I was immediately impressed. Very detailed, open, airy and clear.

Thanks for another great design Dave.

Last edited:
mudchute: does post #28 refer to woofer enclosure?

In general, our own approach re bracing is - when ever possible, cross brace opposing panels (with uneven spacing) and interlock on larger enclosures

of course one could get carried away ;)

As to the venting - high aspect ratio slots might be less important acoustically in woofers than in wide-band enclosures such as the MarKens, but in the interest of aesthetic continuity, why not? :D

Attachments

• Tannoy03.jpg
    Tannoy03.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 183
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi again,

is 350hz a good crossover point?

A little high to take full advantage of the A7. But cheaper & more suitable for a passive XO. Drivers need to be closer together than with a lower XO, and probably not on the sides.

I'd suggest lower XO. We use 160 Hz with our A7.3 FAST, and with side mounted bass drivers might go lower yet.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.