Mar-Ken 10.2 GR question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 5th November 2013, 05:29 PM   #1
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mar-Ken 10.2 GR question

I am planning to make these cabs and have some questions as I am a beginner in cab making.

1) Where can I get 12mm wool felt? I was googling. but could find anything of appropriate sizes...
2) Same with 15mm vent spacers? Here in US metric stuff is a hard to find :-(.
3) What should be the sequence of assembling the panels into a box? What goes first, second etc.

I will appreciate any help!
Old 5th November 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
1) Where can I get 12mm wool felt? I was googling. but could find anything of appropriate sizes...
We use 12mm cotton felt which you can get from Bob at Creative Sound

Wool felt? McMaster Carr? Car upholstry guys? Old GM cars?

Quote:
2) Same with 15mm vent spacers? Here in US metric stuff is a hard to find
Even here where we can regularily get 15mm material, the thickness needs adjusting because it is rarely exactly 15mm. MDF is often closer to true 15mm and this is a good use for it. And one could take solid and make it 15mm thick.

In the US, if you take calipers to 5/8" material much of it will actually turn out to be 15mm

And one could take 5/8" material (15.875mm) and increase the vent spacer width such that the vent cross-section area remains the same.

Quote:
3) What should be the sequence of assembling the panels into a box? What goes first, second etc.
Chris?

dave
Old 5th November 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

As to the material dimensions, Dave is correct - almost all plywood, whether imperial or metric, is really only "nominal" on the dimensions. Minor variations of fractions of mm (depending on how anal one is, 3/4" = 19.05mm, 5/8" = 15.875mm, 3/8"= 9.525mmm etc) probably aren't that significant in terms of performance, but can be a nuisance when programming for CNC routing of internal dadoes, or even rabbets on edges.

As to order of assembly - to be honest, after so many pairs of so many different designs, I probably don't even follow the same sequence every time myself , and to be honest, sometimes change parts dimensions as shown on his cut list to simply assembly sequence or overlay of parts.

PKI - feel free to PM me on that - I'll likely be offline for the remainder of the day.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you, guys! I will be buying a plywood soon, after I cut it into pieces and start glueing together, I will have more questions most likely :-).
Old 6th November 2013, 09:45 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

if using Dave's stock drawings, be sure to thing about how you'll be finishing / covering the boxes, and whether you'd want all exposed plies on all 4 front edges (you will be using decent ply, I assume )

If not, you might want to resize the parts to fully inset the top, and half inset the bottom.

In any case, after a short review of the drawing for this one, I have a few thoughts that I could send by PM
Old 6th November 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you, that would be nice!

Hide this!Advertise here!