• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mark Audio Alpair floorstander, pensil - horn or?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
check out Bob Brines bookshelf TL for the 7.3

I really like the look of the Pensils and the mentioned bookshelf, however - I feelt this one is a form factor that's a bit too big for a bookshelf and too small for a floorstander, but I will look further into it.

As stated,will these larger Pensil-models also be good for regular music at normal levels. When reading on Mr Brines page I get a feeling that they're good only for Baroque-pieces - I rarely listen to those.

Are they also capable of modern rock, americana, bluegrass, singer/songwriter, acoustic?

As stated,will these larger Pensil-models also be good for regular music at normal levels. When reading on Mr Brines page I get a feeling that they're good only for Baroque-pieces - I rarely listen to those.

Are they also capable of modern rock, americana, bluegrass, singer/songwriter, acoustic?

Personal opinion only, and I am sure others will disagree....

No 4" driver is going to do decent 21st century rock justice. You don't even start to get "slam" until you get up to 8" or bigger drivers. But then again you don't want to listen to compressed to white noise, clipped 21th century rock on a highly revealing driver like the A7.3. You want a poly cone driver that will soften up the horrible mixes.

However, the A7.3, including my implementation will do Pink Floyd and Steely Dan. I have all of Alison Krauss' recordings if you want to call that bluegrass. My speakers do a nice job with Norah Jones and I have some more esoteric stuf like Joni Mitchell, Rebecca Pigion, Carla Lother. Etc.

Bob

+1 to both Bob and Robert's comments - the 7.3s shine when high-passed and supported with woofers - as for example in modest multi-channel home theater

now as to which of the two 10s to choose? :D - in my own listening to date, I rather prefer the paper, but that's just me.

Ok. 10P, 10.3 or 12P is on the shortlist then.

Regarding 12-drivers. 12 P is the only one available?

Among the Pensil designs I would then have to choose the 12.2P-version?

(Sorry for being a newbie, but there is a lot of drivers and drawings floating around here...)

Last edited:
Jan, no worries, even us septo-generational "greybeards" can get confused from time to time. (well, technically I'm 8 yrs behind Bob B on that, but some days it don't feel like it :()

Mark currently has only one 12cm driver model, the P - although there may still be some 12Ms extant in the gently used market. To achieve the targeted performance with the 12P, I think it's safe to say that smaller enclosures won't deliver their full potential - there are 2 versions of the Pensil for this driver, of which I've only heard the "super" - it certainly delivers, but ain't small.

Ok. Perhaps the 10P or 10.3 is the middle way. The Pensil 10P is, as I said, a lot fairer in terms of size.

The 10P is probably a very good choice, but I really like the look of the metal drivers. Hard to pick - but I'll have to sleep on it.

Adding subwoofers isn't an option. Most of the listening will be the "late@night"+"Avoidwakingchildren"-kind. I just wan't them to sound full and not being pushed when they sometimes need to be cranked up a bit.

I'd want them to be able to play stuff like this as well.

Tift Merritt - Broken - YouTube

Last edited:

OK spill the beans, what are the reasons you like the 10p and what are the reasons you like the 10.3

to whom of the several folks who've heard both is this question directed?

Notwithstanding the differences in enclosures, for me the 10.3(metal) is a bit too forward and "bright" in the upper mids, while the papers were simply smoother overall. This is based on comparison of 10.2 in Brines' M10A10 (by far the deepest bass of the group in any "equivalent box"), 10.3M in Scott's Pensil, and 10.P in the FH XL. The range in which I found the most discernible differences between the 2 new models was well above the point where the enclosure loading would be expected to make a significant difference.

Of course, other folks may have different observations / impressions.

Looking at Mark Audios' white papers in the 10p and 10.3 the latter seems to be more of a bumpy right when it comes to smoothness. The 10P measures very good, almost too good to be true.

I think Pensil 10P is the correct route for me. Now, what color to paint them in?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.