• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil and superpensil for A12.2 P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KarlsMoody,

Probably there is no single correct answer for this. Depending on room and your system, personal taste (and I daresay stuffing material), the amount will vary.

Suggest you try out like the picture and then add as required. The removable back panel gives you that option. :)

Thanks for your reply

It's not even the amount that i am contemplating, that will be a question of trial and error...What I'd like to know is should i spread the stuffing throughout the whole of the internal volume with the exception of the areas of the magnet and the front opening? I cannot possibly imagine that the configuration doesn't matter. Why would i leave nearly half the cabinet's internal volume unstuffed?:scratch1:

I presume there are some changes with the type and volume of stuffing.
As t this is DIY , i will try different configuration to suit my room and music. I consider trial and error as part of the fun in diy as i learn by trial and error.

KarlsMoody , i am interested in your built. Hope you will share some pictures.
cheers

kp93300

Thanks for your reply

It's not even the amount that i am contemplating, that will be a question of trial and error...What I'd like to know is should i spread the stuffing throughout the whole of the internal volume with the exception of the areas of the magnet and the front opening? I cannot possibly imagine that the configuration doesn't matter. Why would i leave nearly half the cabinet's internal volume unstuffed?:scratch1:

Uniform density throughout is default, then it's up to you to adjust as you see fit. Make sure it isn't pressed up against the driver to avoid mass-loading the cone. That was one of the points: to provide a box that can be easily adjusted to taste / requirements by simply adjusting the damping. Hence the removable back.

KP - I think those were from early in Jeff Willing (vinylkids)s build, perhaps he could pipe in with any comments on final configuration of fill. IINM, we also lined part of the upper section with 1/2" Ultratouch insulation.

I haven't changed the stuffing shown in the picture, yet. Never really felt the need to change it, but I'll probably play around with the stuffing config. this winter. The Pensils are resting at the moment, I have a lovely pair of 12p MarKenT's "in the house".:)

jeff

I haven't changed the stuffing shown in the picture, yet. Never really felt the need to change it, but I'll probably play around with the stuffing config. this winter. The Pensils are resting at the moment, I have a lovely pair of 12p MarKenT's "in the house".:)

jeff

Marken T must have escaped my attention.
Can you post some plans and images and elaborate on the sound vs the Pensils

thanks

kp93300

Marken T must have escaped my attention.
Can you post some plans and images and elaborate on the sound vs the Pensils

You'd have to contact Dave for plans.

There is a picture of the "T"'s in post #206 of the "fest" thread. They are on the right of the first pic, pretty hard to mistake the big blue drivers for anything else.:D

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...nnual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2013-a-21.html

Compared to my Super Pencils, they are quite lean, almost bright sounding by themselves. With sub-woofer support, they would be suitable for a larger room, and will play loud enough to peel the wall paper with less than 20 watts/ch tube power. IMHO, the Enabled drivers allow you to see deeper into the sound-stage, and have very nice top end.

BTW, the "T" stands for trapezoid.

jeff

have you tried your MK T's by themselves in a small room and how did they do there?

Yes, they've been played by themselves. Even in our medium sized listening room, they need some bass support. I wouldn't expect them to sound too much different in a smaller room.

The "T"'s actually belong to Planet_10.

My A12p just arrived today !!

Time for a :drink:

jeff

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first non-commercial speakers..A12.2p in Superpensils with Zebrano veneer..This lousy picture doesn't even capture the looks of this speaker..I could only spend a day with them, i have since travelled abroad, but what a day... :)
I wasn't messing around with placement and stuffing variations thanks to little time i could spend with them, that'll come in November.. with final pictures of the whole chain, with the room rearranged as well.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first non-commercial speakers..A12.2p in Superpensils with Zebrano veneer..This lousy picture doesn't even capture the looks of this speaker..I could only spend a day with them, i have since travelled abroad, but what a day... :)
I wasn't messing around with placement and stuffing variations thanks to little time i could spend with them, that'll come in November.. with final pictures of the whole chain, with the room rearranged as well.
what was the commercial speakers you had, how do they sound and compare to the 12p?

what was the commercial speakers you had, how do they sound and compare to the 12p?

Sorry about the late reply!

In the past i have owned your everyday commercial speakers..like Dynaudios, ProAcs, and some not so everyday commercial speakers like Zu Audios
I have heard some very exclusive systems ( think Acoustic Avantgarde Trios, or Focal Grande Utopias ) so I am fairly familiar with what is achievable in a home setting..( regardless of the fact that domestical music listening will always be a far cry from the ( unamplified ) live experience.

Like i said, i could only have a single day with them, i have since travelled abroad, so final tuning and some room tuning as well comes in November..but one thing is for sure, this project was always going to be a successful one.. they were already impressive in their cardboard boxes, but in these enclosures ( and again, far from being fully optimised ) on that single day they were able to pull off things that i had never heard from any of the loudspeakers that i had previously owned, there were several moments when my jaws literally dropped * nooo waaay.. * ..and those are really not bad speakers by any means, in fact they are very good. I have to say these are clearly the best speakers i have owned, and they are far from being broken-in. I'm not going into details just yet but what really struck me was their ability to allow me to fully enjoy everything that i played, i mean everything. Never before had i experienced this...There was always a song or album or two that just i didn't like playing..
And this is even more impressive when i take into account that the Mark Audios are more revealing than anything i have ever heard..
By far the best and the most important chapter of my hi-fi endeavours so far..and it has just begun..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.