• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil tuning help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
After what seems like an aeon, I have finally climbed my Everest - a Pensil 7.3 build. Family commitments give me very little time to run at it and I've been gradually chipping away, 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there for nearly a year. They are aesthetically a little eccentric; when I've got some decent photos I'll put them up.

On to my question.

What sold me on the 7.3 Pensils was the promise of what I value most in a speaker - clarity and detail. I'm not interested in rattling any windows, I would much rather have a tight, articulate bass with a bright, clear midrange. The results are unfortunately a little underwhelming. The midrange is decently clear and bright but the bass is thick and slow and timid. No punch at all.

I did run the drivers in for 100 hours with some audiobooks and some light folk music. I'm hoping that my problems are simply down to stuffing (I used polyfill). So I'll try to adjust that. As mentioned, I have very little time to tinker so pointers in the right direction would be very gratefully received. From my description, is it likely that I have overstuffed or understuffed? Also, I have no stuffing directly behind the driver - should I add some?

Gigantic thanks to the community here, without whom this project wouldn't have even been conceived. Especially, of course, to Scottmoose.

I guess a picture might help:

J2CDAad.jpg

Last edited:
Hold the phone!

I just realised that I've so far been listening to them at rather low volume (kids in bed). I just got an opportunity to turn the volume up a bit and my word, the sound just opened up like a lotus flower.

I'll try tuning the stuffing as suggested by you kind gents and if what I just heard is a taster of what's to come, I am going to be one very happy bunny :)

(I'm about to put a picture in the Pensil pics thread)

I have made similiar mistake with over-stuffing my 7.3 pensils. For now (little over 100 hours) I removed all the stuffing and it seems ok even this way - slightly excess body on vocals and strings but bass is just great - tight, precise and its volume is amazing especially then looking at the size of driver itself. And sound is getting better each day... Just wonderful. Will experiment with adding stuffing later (after final breaking in) though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.