Onken lining choices. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 6th June 2013, 05:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Onken lining choices.

Hi all,

I'm gearing up to build some dmar-ken7.3's and I'm struggling to find a supplier for speaker lining here in the uk.

So far, I've found some 10mm sound absorbent felt available in 1700gms and 1100gms weights but nothing thicker.

Loudspeaker damping materials for DIY speaker kits.

3rd item down.

Are there any UK user whom know of anything more suitable in the UK or, something good that can be re-purposed for use in speakers. Alternatively, If there is a supplier in any other countries that will ship to the UK then please point me towards them!

Thanks all

Gavin
Old 6th June 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The 10mm stuff should work fine. I will go down later today, weigh and calculate the density of the stuff we use to help you choose between the 2 available.

dave
Old 7th June 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Seems your stuff is about 2 x as dense as what we use... you may need to add some light fluff as well

dave
Old 10th June 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey,

Thanks for taking a look for me. If its twice as dense then that sounds to me that using this could be too big a risk considering the effort to make it.

Can you point me towards the places you get your choice of lining from please?
Old 10th June 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are these any good?

Woollen felt rolls and synthetic felt rolls or sheets in all densities

The above company can make felt to order so, if you could kindly let me know what weight material it was that you guys use I could contact them for availablity for a near match I hope.
Old 10th June 2013, 06:41 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The lining we use is UltraTouch. Really only available in North America. Before that we used a somewhat similar felted cotton we recycled out of old spealer boxes.

You should be fine with the thicker version of the stuff you linked. The stuff in the 2nd link looks better, and is available in lots of desities (not that i know what an sg is)

dave
Old 10th June 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That makes life easier! Thanks for your help, I'll leave you in peace!
Old 1st July 2013, 08:54 PM   #8
gior is offline gior  France
diyAudio Member

Mudchute, hope it is not to late, I found something probably similar to the Ultratouch at this link. It is 20mm thick and 1200gms. The site is in French and the English version does not look too good. However you may try to look at stores in the UK selling stuff for insulating vehicles.

I wonder if it is not worth peeling off some of its thickness off before glueing...

Hide this!Advertise here!