• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Series Twin A7 Pensil (Gen.3 or A)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy gents,

Preface: I have a DIY KT88 SET Kit in the works. Around 8 watts triode, 12 watts or so, ultra linear - it's still in shipping boxes waiting to be made..gulp.

Anyways, I'm kicking around the options of speakers to use with this amp - Options: A12Pensil, A10 pensil etc. etc. for (much) further down the highway.

Another option, I really like the idea of is 2 x A7 wired in series, in a floor-stander, both drivers firing forwards. I know 2 x A7 has been done before, in a monitor style, and another in a FAST, with one upwards firing driver.

I'm just putting this forward, for general discussion of the pros and cons of such a design. I'll start the thread discussion with...

1) Will this give me a more sensitive version of A7?[/B] +3 db for 89 - 90db or so?

2) Does a design/drawing for a new generation Twin A7 exist?

3) Are there simulated (gu)estimations of performance on a hard drive somewhere?

4) Could I use the existing drawing (from the FAST) and just move the upwards driver to the front?

Good idea or NOT such a good idea?

Comments?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1) Will this give me a more sensitive version of A7?[/B] +3 db for 89 - 90db or so?

2) Does a design/drawing for a new generation Twin A7 exist?

3) Are there simulated (gu)estimations of performance on a hard drive somewhere?

1/ wired in series same sensitivity.
1a/ wired in parallel, ~6 dB more sensitivity.
1b/ no matter how you wire, 3dB more efficiency

2/ for a Pensil? Double the xsection of a single, and place the drivers such that the average Zd remains the same

3/ Performance will be the same as for a single driver, barring level shift and HF combing (likely a non-issue as long as drivers are as close as possible and listening distance is reasonable).

dave

1a/ wired in parallel, ~6 dB more sensitivity.
Might work, but a rather low impedance load on amp. resulting in possibly high distortion from amp, even if amp didn't overheat/blow up. So no free lunch?

1/ wired in series same sensitivity. 1b/ no matter how you wire, 3dB more efficiency

Sorry, I don't quite follow this Dave? Is there a db gain with series wiring? I thought it was +3 db?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.