• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

speaker amp match

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the el70's and gave them away at christmas. Now I am building the SSE amp from Tubelab. I was thinking a founken for me this time and one that matches the SSE. I listen to all types of music and the speakers will be in the living room though I have been known to lean on the volumn.

Attachments

• speaker 006.jpg
    speaker 006.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 239
Are you NUTS !!! :eek:

Ugggghhhh. I nearly did that and I thought better of it.

KM

IINM those were for a family gift - hopefully to be as much appreciated by the recipient as any of us might.

The SSE design can cover quite a power range, so drivers of similar sensitivity to the EL70 could still be quite satisfying, and since you've already demonstrated the ability to fabricate a very comely enclosure, I'd vote for something along the lines of Alpair7.3. Whether stand-mount or floor-stander is up to you - I've heard both, and each have their merits.

The A7.3 won't deliver the same bass performance of the EL70 in comparable enclosures, but possess a degree of midrange resolution, "detail" and "air" that the EL70 can't quite match - neither will they (A7.3) sugar-coat the shortcomings of program material, source components or amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.