• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Diffusion inside Pensil Box? Other ideas for bracing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

Thinking about building a set of Alpair 12's for my girlfriend in a Super Pensil box and was curious if there are any advantages in the following ideas being implemented into the boxes.

1: instead of using bracing on 90 angles, just move the braces off center and cut at a 15 or so degree angle. Still use plenty of holes etc. and tighten everything up. Seems like this would solve some of the problems of directly opposing walls.

2: instead of idea 1 above with use some sort of diffusion inside the box to smooth out response. Perhaps instead of running mdf with swiss cheese as bracing just run lots of dowels of different dimensions.

Any thoughts?

Another idea that I had was to mount some diy set amps on the back of the box so they're more like monitors.

Love Mark's stuff, I can't wait to do a build.

My other gear is Decware and Linkwitz so I'm pretty spoiled.

Thanks guys, great forum!

interestedinTL,

You mean for the Alpair 12P right? The old metal Alpair 12 is out of stock for North American dealers and Mark Audio is not producing that as of now.

As long as you don't have equal sections created by your angled brace, it should be ok - but not sure this method will yield major benefits. And you will need some stuffing too - so a removable back pannel is advised. Also instead of MDF, multi-layer plywood is recommended by most builders (MDF dust issues, ply is stiffer and lighter).

And I would suggest the standard Pensil 12 instead of the super because that is designed to have a flatter response, but YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.