• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

What amp for Pensil 10.2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I only use Herron M150 amps with the latest mods. I just haven't heard anything better. Or even as good, frankly. Fabulous dynamic snap and detail. Very flat response, no coloration. Vanishingly low distortion.

That said, I'm not using Mark Audio drivers yet. Still in the planning stages. But good amps are good amps.

I only use Herron M150 amps with the latest mods. I just haven't heard anything better. Or even as good, frankly. Fabulous dynamic snap and detail. Very flat response, no coloration. Vanishingly low distortion.

That said, I'm not using Mark Audio drivers yet. Still in the planning stages. But good amps are good amps.

indeed, but never underestimate or discount the synergy (or antagonism) that can occur between components - for example ask Jim Shearer about his experience with F120A

re the 10.2 - I've heard them blossom with a 2A3, which on paper might not be sufficient power for theatrical dynamics and realistic concert level SPLs

I don't currently live with a pair (10.2s) , but my choice in a small room would be something like the 6CA7 SE - as it turns out, one of the members of my "harem" ;)

Last edited:
indeed, but never underestimate or discount the synergy (or antagonism) that can occur between components - for example ask Jim Shearer about his experience with F120A
;)

Chris,

It's been my experience that problems upstream cannot be fixed downstream. Amp shortcomings may be masked by other weaknesses in the chain, but they don't disappear.

"Warmth" in amps sometimes creates a sweeter, more romantic presentation, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it is a distortion.

BTW, I've heard some low power SET amps perform as if they had a LOT more power. Not sure why, but the dynamics were certainly eye-opening. :)

BTW, I've heard some low power SET amps perform as if they had a LOT more power. Not sure why, but the dynamics were certainly eye-opening. :)

Bruce Rozenblit in his "Tubes and Circuits" book posits that the reason tubes seem to have more power is that the semiconductor materials used as cathodes in tubes are able to handle brief 1-2ms transients at more than 1000x the steady state power handling. This works well for music, since typical higher power notes are short.

let's not let this devolve into another of those SS / vs HollowState debates - each type has its own merits -there is no "best" or "one amp for all"

although I must say that the most transparent, lyrical, dynamic, musical devices I've yet heard was a hybrid design by Rene Jaeger - 45 DHT driving some type of SE FET output stage - it's very easy to get lost in the music and not really hear the technical description of the design (of course it'd still be geek to me)

"harem" :D - I'm was in the middle of reading "Enchantress of Florence" (Salman Rushdie) when I typed that - forum decorum precludes elaboration

Hi - here are someone wise....

Hi to all!

Look at this site - seems like they are using Alp10.2 and in a no-wood cabinet. Still it is favorably compared to Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors and Proac Tablette Ref8, and it even plays better than those 2 in some aspects.
CA-Electronics Sound Quality | CA Electronics AP-10 bookshelf speaker
CA-Electronics AP10 Loudspeakers | Hifi Pig

So our wood-boxes with Alp10.2 should give even a more harmonius sound -maybe.
And my new Alp12P - is even more tonally rich in a somewhat equal box!

So - Mark - your way of producing these fine sound-pieces is really giving us diyèr a perfect opportunity!

Thanks and Best to all!

Olav

Hi Guys,
Thanks again for messages of support and encouragement. When it comes to amps, I a bit of a swopa-holic. I've ran Pensil 10's on the following amps with pleasing results:

For absolute precision: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-308_e.pdf

For warmth (I have 2 of these 300B's, one with vintage C type Mr Zhu trans, the other with Kenneth's trans - both yummy: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twin-audio/162616-tonys-300b-standard-model.html

For slam and presence (go easy on the vol): SANSUI ƒvƒŠƒ�ƒCƒ“ƒAƒ“ƒvAU-ƒ¿907DR‚ÌŽd—l ƒTƒ“ƒXƒC

For smooooooothness: SONY ƒvƒŠƒ�ƒCƒ“ƒAƒ“ƒvTA-F333ESX‚ÌŽd—l ƒ\ƒj�[

There's a few more combo's but they're in the studio, will need to visit later next week as I'm working from home while recovering. I'm also using DIY-Hi-Fi Supplies Django coupled to the later 300B with much pleasure

One thing that I believe is most important: source. I use an Accuphase DP67 CD player as my reference source. I'm also very picky re CD's.

Overall, I tend to learn towards Tony's 300B's and other tubies. However, all my Mofs are "all Japan" models, tweaked, running on clean voltage (100v to 220v) converters so they aint your average product. I'm in no rush to give these solids away!

Hope this helps,

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
I have just ordered a DIY Pass Alpeh Mini to work with my Opera T1 pre-amp (modified). What do you think?

Hi D,
Would I be right in understanding the Alpeh Mini is a small Mofset with an output of around 10 watts per channel? If so, might be a bit under-powered for an Alp10. But my knowledge and experience of this amp is extremely limited. Given its a Pass, its circuit design could be very clean and stable such that 10 watts will work on an Alp10.

All the same, I'd suggest allot more research before using this amp on an Alp10.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
Hi dekiller and Mark...

Hi D,
Would I be right in understanding the Alpeh Mini is a small Mofset with an output of around 10 watts per channel? If so, might be a bit under-powered for an Alp10. But my knowledge and experience of this amp is extremely limited. Given its a Pass, its circuit design could be very clean and stable such that 10 watts will work on an Alp10.

All the same, I'd suggest allot more research before using this amp on an Alp10.

Cheers
Mark

I`m not an expert in these matter - but my personal feeling is that 10watt maybe is enough. I have built a version of the LÀmp - based on the Sony 2SK82 Static Induction Transistor( a kind of SIT-amp that Nelson Pass himself has introduced to the Hi-Fi world and his SIT is 10watt - and capabel to run different loads)
My version is maybe 7-8 watt in class A and I used it earlier to run my fine Alp10.2 - which they for 90 % did very well(except some week recorded Rickie Lee Jones + some).
Today I use them on my newly finisheh Alp12P in a 38 sqmeter room upstairs - and here they give very powerful presence to the sound.
Very rich in sound - and if the Aleph Mini gives the same SPL I believe it should be fair in sound.
But you must decide by yourself - I don`t feel the Alpairs are that powerhungry?

Pics included of my setup:)

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 135
Hi Brian...

As stated earlier - I`m no expert on these matters!

But as Nelson Pass, Michael Rotchaer and others has said earlier: a low wattage classA amplifier with a good powersupply and a good topology - that is working on its higher level(60%-90%) - can do wonder on efficient speakers!
My LÀmp has 2 times = 400watt trafo with 84000 uF capacitors(each channel has this).
And the B1 that I use is functioning most efficient when driven to its nearby max-level(=about 75 %)! All according to Nelson Pass.
And the Alp12P is 93db!
So if the AlephMini has a sufficient PowerSupply and other have good report on it - it can make for a good listening experience.

When I started my building I had doubts about how it would end. But as time went by - and the different items was finished the sound is very good. The only thing is: my wife complains that it can get too sharp and clear - so I have to get some more dampening inside the Alp12P - or get me a tube-buffer maybe?

Best

Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.