Jute Felt for cabinet damping? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 18th November 2012, 09:20 PM   #1
RickH is offline RickH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jute Felt for cabinet damping?

Hello All:

I am rounding up the goods for my FF85WK uFonken build. I noticed some of the material I've seen used for damping looks a lot like the stuff in my 2002 Saturn trunk - the stuff under the carpet. From searching online it looks like the material is jute felt carpet pad used for sound deadening. Some of the jute padding I've found is probably too dense (40 oz.) but the attached link is for 3/8" thick material (20 oz.). I'm guessing the measures refer to weight per square yard?

Jute Carpet Padding - 20 oz.

Anyway, I am thinking of ordering a piece since it is pretty inexpensive since the only thing I find locally is cotton batting. I would appreciate some thoughts on whether or not this might work well for cabinet damping for my FF85WK. Thank you,

Rick
Old 19th November 2012, 02:38 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Rick,

I've been using jute lining for last couple of my builds. The felt that I have is 6-7mm thick. I guess material will not be the same, but have found that one layer was enough and 2 layers were making the speakers sound a bit dull as if too much of the high and mid frequencies were getting absorbed.

Dave advises 1/2" lining - do you have anything in that store which is 1/2" or slightly less - that should be enough, but YMMV.
Old 19th November 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One member has reported that the carpet underlay pulled out of scrap GM cars works well... that has to be pretty similar to what you propose.

Zia sent me a sample of what he uses, it looks fine.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!