• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

MarKen70 or ClassicGR70 v mMarKen70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I've been really enjoying my mMarKen70 build for some time (especially most recently as they've been nicely tarted up in veneer) and I have a spare set of EL70s.

My question: what kink of "improvement" might I expect if I step up to the prime size MarKen70? A more difficult build I imagine, but worth it if the bump in sound quality is significant and not subtle? The same question applies to the other alternative cab in question, the skinny version of the Classic Golden ratio for the EL70.

Thanks for indulging me,
Mario

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mario,

Do you mean mMar-Kel70 with EL70? mMar-Ken70 would have CHR70.3 in them. (i know, i know, the nomenclature is extensive & confusing, but the versatiilty of this design scheme has been beyond any possible expecttion since Chris coined the term Fonken (he wonders how even i keep is straight :D)

Going from milliSize to prime size releases the bass capability and makes the speaker sound more relaxed. An analogy: the milli is like a caged tiger, the prime like moving the tiger to a preserve where it can run free.

The Mar-Kel70 with the side vents has a lower diffraction signature than the CGR and has an increased capacity to "disappear"

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No. The only Primes we have are the gorgeous solid fir Mar-Kel70wT that Bernie built. And they have a dedicated set of woofTs. I would sell these -- maybe even separately -- but would want a premium for them. And the woofers are probably too big to ship to CA -- you could drive up and pick them upthou :D

MK70wT-fir-wWoofT-comp.jpg

The original Mar-Kel70 are in Palo Alto so not all that far away from you.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.