• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 6 Pensil 6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and am looking for a little advice...

After helping a friend with construction of a pair of Frugel Horns, I am fancying building some speakers myself. The design I would like to build is the Alpair 6 Pensil 6 from Mark Audio, or one of the similar designs. It "seems" to be a simple enough design both in terms of woodworking and electronics.

My question concerns the height of the drive unit in the enclosure. The overall height of the enclosure is 37" which is fine. However because my Hifi system stands on an upstand of about 8", it means the drive unit would be too high in relation to my ears when seated.

Can the drive unit be moved further down the enclosure to compensate, or would this compromise the sound in some way?

Am I correct in thinking this is a simple bass reflex design whereby the enclosure volume and port size are critical and other design features not so critical?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Also.... Could anyone point me in the right direction for a UK dealer for the Markaudio drive units... Thanks again...

Crash Tested,

Welcome to the forum!

The Driver center position is ~7" from the top, so adding back 8" would roughly bring the driver center height 38" - that should be ok? IIRC in the past, folks (a couple of them most likely :)) complained that the Pensil driver height seems too low and had requested higher placement of the driver if possible.

That comes to your point of moving the driver - that's a no, no, as it will spoil the alignment. The Pensil is a MLTL variant (as far as I know), and not a BR box - so it is not only about volume and port size - cross section, driver height also matter.

AFAIK the Europe dealer for MA is:

Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

BTW, are you looking at Alp 6 metal or paper?

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt advice Zman...

The design I was looking at on the Markaudio website shows an overall enclosure height of 37" and a driver height of 29 1/4" from bottom to centre. So lowering the unit by 8" would bring the driver down to 21 1/4" B to C.

But in any case, if it is a Transmission Line then, (as you say) it shouldn't be moved... Which leaves me back a square one... after a similar design for a full range driver with a driver height of around 22"...

Yes...

I want to build something that similar in "looks" to the Pensil (square section, tall, thin, single driver, fairly easy construction) but a driver height of around 22-23"... The overall height isn't too important...

If you know of anything along those lines, it would be useful...

Thanks again...

the 6 does work very nicely in the "milli" sized enclosures, but of course has more overall limitations of attainable SPL / bass extension than any of the 70mm models ( CHP/ R & EL 70, and Alpair7.3)

Zia's reference would be the drawing on page 7 of 13 - keep in mind this was designed for CHR & EL70 - use cautiously with the 6P or M

Thanks for all your help chaps...

I'm not in any way tied to the Alp 6... Just liked the design of the Pensil...

I've looked at the design for the folded half tower as you suggested and it looks pretty good. Can you tell me if all the internal panels are bracing panels? If so could the cabinet be made of 18mm or higher but keeping the same internal dimensions?

As I'm fairly new at all this, some of your references are a little lost on me...

Not sure what an EL70 driver is, or a "milli sized enclosure"

Thanks again for your help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.