• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

miniOnken/Fonken gallery pictures only

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
These posts extracted from the main miniOnken thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/188257-minionken-fonken-picture-gallery.html, please post your pics & comments there, this one is locked. dave

I'll start with the latest.

Bernie (doesn't post here) came by today with his Mar-Ken12 to get my help detailing them and wiring in the drivers. This is the 1st set i've heard (Chris has had our (unfinished) build at his house, but with stock drivers (they are now veneered awaiting time in the spray booth). Bernie's build is of solid Douglas Fir with some dark exotic or semi-exotic vent spacers (the fir used to be his floor). The aged "orangish" colour of the fir goes really well with the copper drivers.

Even with few hours on them, i get the impression that these do some things (imaging) much better than the Classic GR Mar-Ken12 that i've listened to extensively.

bernie-marKen12-comp.jpg

This is the 1st of the trapezoidal miniOnken (irregular octagons if you count the champhers) -- the configuration will spread thriout the line. The tapered shape was the solution to fitting the wide bezel A12 into the small volume it wanted (same as A10.2, FE127e, and EL70 (A10.2 will also go nto a larger version))

dave

Reactions: 1 users
My CHR-Kens

I built them out of curiosity, and ended up surprised and impressed. Nice bass extension, great bass articulation, mids are very clear. The speakers also disappear very nicely. Drivers are Planet10 CHR-70.2eN. Finally got them stained and finished about a week back...

Attachments

• CHR-Kens complete.jpg
    CHR-Kens complete.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 581
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
'Ken-to-Gether

The recently passed VI diyFEST left an opportunity to take a group shot of a range of miniOnkens:

ken-to-getherComp.jpg

Back to front, left to right:

Mar-Kel70 (EL70eN), FonkenPrime (FE127eN), Mar-Ken10.2 (A10.2eN), Mar-Ken10 (A10.2), uFonken (FE85KeN), next row: CGR cmMar-Ken6.2m (A6.2MeN, FonkenPrime (FF125WK), Mar-Ken12t (a12eN, CHR-Ken (CHR70.3), uFonken (FE85wKeN), bottom: mFonken103 (FE103eN), mMar-Kel70 (EL70eN), mFonken (FE127eN^2), mMar-Ken6.2p (A6.2PeN), CGR Mar-Ken12 (A12eN). uFonenSE (FF85KeN)

dave

with TB W3-595

didn't realize small cabinets are much easier to build... Planet10 suggested the dimensions, and I use them as PC speakers with mainly near field listening. Unlike most of the drivers seen here, these are relatively cheap.

For their purpose with limited driver excursion sound very good. At high volume driven by t-amp clone, cones breakup, but to be expected. Good cabinet for the driver as PC speakers.

more details of the build here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/190238-fonken-variant-tb-w3-593sf.html

Attachments

• 20110604-DSCF1722.jpg
    20110604-DSCF1722.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,501
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Holy cow do I want those green ones!!!!

Take a bit to talk me out of those :) But anything is possible.

attachment.php

Not clear in the picture above is that these have corian tops. The top was choosen to compliment the "blue" stain. When blue turned to green (not the 1st time i've had that happen to me), i made drivers to suit.

greenWblue-FE127eN_2.jpg

dave

*I have closeups of most of the other boxes too

Attachments

• blue-mFonken.jpg
    blue-mFonken.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,114
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like the brown cabinets and drivers that are on top of the other blue'ish/green cabinets too.

attachment.php

uFonken in macassar ebony (correct me Chris if i have mangled the spelling). The veneer was 'gifted" to us and would qualify as exotic.

This particular pair of boxes have set more than a few people on their butts with open mouths.

dave

Attachments

• uFonken-macassarEbony.jpg
    uFonken-macassarEbony.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 257
The Mar-Ken12Ts are lovely... yes, and like Doorman, I'd like to know how they are soundwise. :)

Here's the Mar-Ken 7.3 I finished recently.

Very impressed with the sound. These are for a friend - I'm gonna miss these when he eventually takes them home. :)

-Zia

Attachments

• MarKen73.jpg
    MarKen73.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 334
Sneak Preview

Hey All,

I’ve been working 3 pairs, one new pair is completed but unfinished (pic 2).

I don’t know if cutting dadoes in the top, bottom and back panels is
conventional wisdom, but I think it helps with the assembly.

Should have the tall pair finished soon.

They are fun to build and sound great!!

Attachments

• Fonken 1.JPG
    Fonken 1.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Fonken 2.JPG
    Fonken 2.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 470
Status
Not open for further replies.