• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

µFonkenSET solid Cedar Flat-Pak prototypes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thot some people might be interetsed in how this project is progressing.

Bernie dropped off the 1st prototype so that Chris could build and provide feedback.

I took the opportunity to do a dry fit and take pictures.

Hopefully i can get them in sequence.

dave

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,044
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 985
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 974
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 990
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Western Red Cedar is quite plentiful here, and speculation about using it as a speaker building material go back over 10 years.

Bernie recently rekindled that interest, and finding that an Italian hi-end tone arm maker had tested a huge swath of materials for arm wands and ended up choosing cedar really goosed us to get going on it.

Bernie has a set of proto Mar-Kel70mT in cedar -- they are making the rounds, but initial testing was very promising.

The vision for these flat-paks is to provide something very hard to screw up in assembly - being solid some care with finishing will be needed. Alot of pre-assembly will be done here.

dave

Attachments

• s10.jpg
    s10.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 347
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 331
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 341
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 302
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 407
Dovetail joints would look amazing in those boxes, but probably a royal pita. Dowels would be easier.

jeff

hmm, clean machining of dovetails in material as soft a red cedar could be very problematic indeed

If it will survive for 20+ years on your roof, I don't think there's too much to worry about.;)

jeff

I think a small box consisting of 13 pieces glued together (some edge glued and 3 layers in the side walls) no matter how careful the grain alignment' is quite different from a shake roof

Last edited:
I am certainly not a cabinet-maker or anything like that but offer some food for thought regarding the cabinet joinery dilemma. Would lock-mitered joints be at all feasible for a design such as this?

Frank

neither am I a journeyman jointer, but in a few words - I don't think so

stepped dadoes maybe, but keep in mind these are pretty tiny, tapered boxes not subject to a lot of stress, and with quite a bit of glue surface area - I'd imagine that with any wood glue better than library paste the simple butt joints would be quite sufficient

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.