Rounded edges on inside panel of Fonken? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 15th April 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rounded edges on inside panel of Fonken?

Yesterday, I've started on the build of a pair of Fonken for a generation 1 CHP70. While cutting the wood, I was wondering whether it would be wise to give the inside pannels at the beginning of the narrow ports a rounded edge. I don't see ti on the drawings, but with my limmited knowledge on air stream, I figured it would make sense to guide the air and sound waves into the channels on the sides. Also, on images of different style BR ports made with flat pannels of wood I often see this.

Could somebody pleae help me? I would like to finish them today...
Old 15th April 2012, 09:42 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What exactly are you building?

Fonken for FE127?
a CGR?
Kal-El70 -- the miniOnken for the CHP70.1?
another miniOnken?

The detail on these is all different.

dave
Old 15th April 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm building the Mar-Kel70 1v01.

The description also mentions that the solid spacers should run all the way to the back panel; on several images of the inside of a Fonken, I've seen them stopping at the level of the inside panel. Which is correct? Or is it specific to the Mar-Kel70 that they continue all the way to the back?
Old 15th April 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart-Jan View Post
I'm building the Mar-Kel70 1v01.

The description also mentions that the solid spacers should run all the way to the back panel; on several images of the inside of a Fonken, I've seen them stopping at the level of the inside panel. Which is correct? Or is it specific to the Mar-Kel70 that they continue all the way to the back?

One of the main design goals of all permutations of the "Ken" series is to provide as much bracing off all cabinet panels as possible, and extending the port spacer blocks to the back panel contributes to that.

While I've build a few score of these by now, Dave has certainly drawn many more times that versions of drawings, and some details get missed of dimensional errors occur. This is why I frequently redraw new designs in my own CAD program to verify cutting list, prepare files for any required CNC work, as well as to "build in it my imagination" before cutting any material.
Old 15th April 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Early visualizations (and designs) had the vent spacers stop... they were extended to increase bracing, and that is how it should be executed now.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!