Frugel Horn Support Woofer/Sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 28th March 2012, 06:23 AM   #1
5string is offline 5string  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel Horn Support Woofer/Sub

Hi,
Got my first set of Frugel horn's built. Love them, love them. But, I can't currently corner load so I'm missing out on a little bass ( a little treble too but I'm working on some tweeters to help). Looking thru the Planet10 site I found the drawings for a Push-Push Sub, looks relatively easy to build. Would these be good compliments for the Mk3 FrugelHorns?
I don't have an idea for speakers yet, just looking for a simple design to build and a pair of these seem within my build skills.
Anyone have any ideas/opinions?
Thanks,
Alonzo
Old 28th March 2012, 06:45 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

which drivers in your FH3?

depending on that, the lack of available corner loading might well bring the frequency of required support high enough that stereo woofers, which I think integrate (or don't) differently from (even multiples of ) single channel subs, i.e the former more seamlessly

does that make sense?

in which case I rather like the stealth approach - single 6-8" mid woofer ( not "sub") drivers, in a triangular prism enclosure mounted directly behind the mouth of FH3 (mostly hidden, so needn't be of James Krenov heirloom quality)

there are too many candidates for drivers for this application to list, and with the silly low entry cost of either plate "sub" amps or digital/ PC based XO's & class D amp kits, the options are endless

so far we've mainly used the CSS SDX7 - cause they can work in very small volumes and we have a stash
Old 28th March 2012, 07:06 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alonzo has FE126eN^2.

Here is a pic of our StealthWoofers in action. They have proven very good. They are being driven by a pair of 80W Fostec plate amps (in the cherry cube on the left hand side of the rack.

Click the image to open in full size.

The woofer can be made larger or smaller by changing the height of the base triangle. The ones pictured have SDX7.

dave
Old 28th March 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If the volume is appropriate for the given woofer, does the prism need to be as tall as the FH3? Am I trying to load the whole back horn or primarily the throat?

While I'm at it, what is the prism doing for me that I wouldn't get from straight wall loading? Are we trying to avoid reflection back into the horn?
Old 28th March 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
If the volume is appropriate for the given woofer, does the prism need to be as tall as the FH3? Am I trying to load the whole back horn or primarily the throat?
Full height (or taller) is ideal. at least 2/3 height. But if you start doing the match it quickly becomes appartent that you don't have much volume to work with. Our prisms are on the order of 14 litre/ half cubic ft net which with heavy stuffing (love that Ultratouch) gives a Q of just under bessel (0.58) with all the room gain you get with the face of the woofer inches from the wall, an even lower Q wouldn't hurt. That said these things work really well.

In this picture, the 2 black cubes on either side of the rack are the same net volume with the amps built in.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Are we trying to avoid reflection back into the horn?
Exactly.

dave
Old 28th March 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply's. I like the Stealthwoofer looks, got tired of the little square box subs a long time ago. I need to look around at what speakers I can salvage, got 2 cambridge sworks midwoofers that can be repurposed to the prisms, are there Stealthwoofer plans available or is it simply building a 3'X1' sealed prism and stuffing it up to the driver.
Have you ever considered making them open baffle? It would be simple to put in piano hinges and open or close the woofers to suit rooms and distance to the wall.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:06 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The plans are pretty generic. At some point i will add a page to the plan set that talksin generalities. An OB is likely a challenge unless you are willing to make something BIG.

I do have some old FH1 deflector flat-pak kits that could be repurposed that can be had for postage (about 2/3 height & MDF).

dave
Old 29th March 2012, 03:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Also thanks fro the replys

Dave, thanks for the additional info. Makes sense.

I have some Peerless 6.5 HDS that model well (F3/F10 50/36) in 14 liters. As well as other choices.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I'll take those off your hands Sir. Paypal you the postage?
Old 29th March 2012, 06:10 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string View Post
Well, I'll take those off your hands Sir. Paypal you the postage?
In reference to the deflector flat-pak? email me. Step 1 is figuring out postage.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!