• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel Horn Support Woofer/Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

While I like the actual look of the stealth woofers, it would be nice to know if anyone had tried the OB bass (i.e. some 15" or 18" in H-frame). Assuming that one has enough space to place it, it may work...
I am saying this because I remember that some time ago Jeff (Godzilla) had tried smallish BIBs with H-frame woofers underneath and was very satisfied with the sound....

Are you sure about that? Not much info on the Fosters, but plate amps often have a ~100 to 125Hz second order XO when using the high level speaker outs.

If Jack Hidley doesn't still have it up, i have the info at home. The Fosters have a variable 2nd or 3rd order low pass, <50~150 Hz. Not ever used the high level in.

dave
pretty sure about how this particular implementation was set up- i.e. at speaker level, piggy backed in parallel to the mains via Pomona dual banana plugs

even if the Foster ( or other) plate amp(s) had a HP on the speaker outs, I'm guessing that to keep part size to a minimum at the 120-150Hz range they be using EL caps, which I'd generally want to avoid at all costs . decent quality film caps and air core inductors for even a simple 1st order XO at these frequencies could easily cost half or more the price of budget plate amps - not to mention take up more space than the entire power supply

My own setup with the Foster amp is the opposite of Dave's - it's tidier for me to use the line level inputs

Last edited:
Hi Dave:
I need a driver, & plate amplifier, & flat pak if available.
Pls explain where my calculations have gone awry.
17 litres = 17000 cubic mm, the cube root of
which is 25.7123 mm or roughly icubic inch. I know the
enclosure has to be roughly the size of 4 - 4 litre jugs
of milk.

Regards,
Bert

Application / room size? I'd never day "never"

For home theatre, 2.1 and beyond, that's a given, and having lived for numerous weeks with several iterations of amplification and crossover schemes for the Alpair 7/12 MTMs, I can attest that even for domestic 2 channel audio, relieving any full ranger driver this size class of the bottom octaves can yield benefits way beyond the cost.

My daily drivers are Alpair10P in compact floorstander in a 7.1 system with decent enough little corner mounted woofers, but for music only, well ... I'd take the MTMs and 4 channels of TomChr's Modulus 86 in a heartbeat - which would of course be one more justification for playing with something like a minidsp 2x4HD.

Last edited:
What would be the cut-off frequency setting for the sub in order to integrate with FHXL Alpair 10.3M?

Application / room size? I'd never day "never"

For home theatre, 2.1 and beyond, that's a given, and having lived for numerous weeks with several iterations of amplification and crossover schemes for the Alpair 7/12 MTMs, I can attest that even for domestic 2 channel audio, relieving any full ranger driver this size class of the bottom octaves can yield benefits way beyond the cost.

My daily drivers are Alpair10P in compact floorstander in a 7.1 system with decent enough little corner mounted woofers, but for music only, well ... I'd take the MTMs and 4 channels of TomChr's Modulus 86 in a heartbeat - which would of course be one more justification for playing with something like a minidsp 2x4HD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.