Frugel Horn Support Woofer/Sub - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 29th March 2012, 05:57 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string View Post
Thanks for the reply's. I like the Stealthwoofer looks, got tired of the little square box subs a long time ago. I need to look around at what speakers I can salvage, got 2 cambridge sworks midwoofers that can be repurposed to the prisms, are there Stealthwoofer plans available or is it simply building a 3'X1' sealed prism and stuffing it up to the driver.
If the drivers being (re)purposed to the task are capable of working in small sealed box, yes - but often the problem is sizing the box to fit dimensions of the driver frame and extent of magnet.

Quote:
Have you ever considered making them open baffle? It would be simple to put in piano hinges and open or close the woofers to suit rooms and distance to the wall.
as Dave noted, the floor space required for OBs in general to work, and particularly for deep bass, is rather counter to the "stealth" intent of this particular approach
Old 30th March 2012, 04:20 AM   #12
5string is offline 5string  United States
diyAudio Member

Email sent, also pics of the "poked" FE126's I found.
Alonzo
Old 14th April 2012, 06:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, good thread as its asking near enough what I want to!

I'm building a tubelab amp so I'm only going to have 2 channels to play with. My fe126en equipped fh3's are corner loaded and sound great but like the original poster I'm still lacking in bass.

I had some Q-Acoustic 2020 2 way speakers prior to the fh3's and these were more than bassy enough for my liking despite the small driver. They could shake the room nicely but they had little in the way of mid range hence the fh3's and full range drivers.

So, I was looking at using the rogers ab1 style sub with a kef b110 type of midrange driver such as these 5" 80w Carbon Fibre cone 8 Ohm B110B/SP1057 type Hi-fi Bass/Mid speaker driver | eBay

Do you think it possible to use these with a crossover or in parallel/series with a cap?
Old 15th April 2012, 07:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchute View Post
Hi guys, good thread as its asking near enough what I want to!

I'm building a tubelab amp so I'm only going to have 2 channels to play with. My fe126en equipped fh3's are corner loaded and sound great but like the original poster I'm still lacking in bass.

I had some Q-Acoustic 2020 2 way speakers prior to the fh3's and these were more than bassy enough for my liking despite the small driver. They could shake the room nicely but they had little in the way of mid range hence the fh3's and full range drivers.

So, I was looking at using the rogers ab1 style sub with a kef b110 type of midrange driver such as these 5" 80w Carbon Fibre cone 8 Ohm B110B/SP1057 type Hi-fi Bass/Mid speaker driver | eBay

Do you think it possible to use these with a crossover or in parallel/series with a cap?
In the long run you'll get better results from running some degree of HP filter for the FE126E, and power the woofer(s) with separate SS amp.

If you'll not be using a separate pre-amp with the Tubelab amp, it should be possible to split the input signal after the volume control to provide a line output for the amp driving the woofer(s). A Jolida amp that I bought over 10yrs ago had exactly such a connection.

Install a simple 1st order HP filter (single cap per channel) after the volume pot to the Tubelab's input tube, and toggle switch to short those out to run amp full range.

I did this with a pair of Decware Zen C amps for a custom bi-amped high efficiency speaker system a few years ago, and it worked like a charm.

Keep in mind that the component values and parts cost for passive XO at the lower frequencies you're probably considering ( i.e. under 100Hz) can be pretty high, and this is not the place to scrimp on quality and use cheap EL caps .
Old 15th April 2012, 08:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

That sounds do-able. I have an Arcam 90.2 ss amp which'll be redundant once the tubelab is up and running so I could make use of that. I've also got a kit for a simple push pull tubelab amp on the way too so maybe I could integrate two tube amps once built into my setup to run a range of drivers...

Any ideas on enclosures at all? There's oodles of info on two way bass reflex and large 8"+ sub boxes but nothing for a smaller mid/bass driver asides from the Rogers AB1.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Alonzo has FE126eN^2.

Here is a pic of our StealthWoofers in action. They have proven very good. They are being driven by a pair of 80W Fostec plate amps (in the cherry cube on the left hand side of the rack.

Click the image to open in full size.

The woofer can be made larger or smaller by changing the height of the base triangle. The ones pictured have SDX7.

dave
Any chance of a photograph of the stealthwoofers from the otherside? How far is it placed away from the wall? Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

well, not much to see on the backside (when was the last time you said that ), other than the single SDX7 woofer and input terminals

IIRC placement from the wall was 4-6"?
Old 4th October 2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
well, not much to see on the backside (when was the last time you said tha ort ), other than the single SDX7 woofer and input terminals

IIRC placement from the wall was 4-6"?
Thanks for this. How did you connect the sub amp. Did you trap it from the pre amplifier output or from the power amplifier? I worry about phasing. Thanks for any information you have.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:43 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When using the Foster plate amps we typically give it a speaker level feed from the mains.

dave
Old 4th October 2012, 09:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

When using the Foster plate amps we typically give it a speaker level feed from the mains.

dave

in other words, the mains are not high-passed - which at higher volume levels could result in some strain if driving a FR near/past comfortable excursion limits

Hide this!Advertise here!