The P10-hifi web site - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 31st May 2012, 05:27 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I dunno, I kind of agree with Fakeout. As a potential future customer I find the Planet_10 hifi site hard to use. I fully understand that the site has evolved to it's current state over time and that the formatting isn't the primary goal (especially true for small businesses).

Here are some suggestions based off my use of the site:
Some links in the pricing page just redirect to a generic listing of products while others go to a product specific page. I would prefer a page per product even if it's just a single photo and the price.

Part of my problem is that I don't know what I want. A product finder would be hugely helpful. It doesn't need to be fancy or complicated, just a few guidelines could be offered (e.g. in my case what works well for a SET Tube amp @ 8W in a large room with a powered sub). I don't know what size speaker I want 4", 8", 120mm? What are the general characteristics of each?

I am planning on DIY building an enclosure for my new speakers. It would be awesome if each speaker page had a link and some photos of applicable plans. I realize that some of this is proprietary, but a simple thumbnail would be enough. It is hard to match drivers to enclosures in the current site.

I think a succinct definition of EnABL should be in large print and on the first page. To a noobie, this is a confusing topic and getting a definition out of the monster thread on DIYAudio is next to impossible.

I know that sometimes suggestions can sound like criticism. Please don't take me that way! I truly want to help Planet_10's site to be better. I also know that someone will point out that I could 'Simply read the forums for all this information'. While yes, that is true, I simply do not have time to read the gory details on every single thread. I am looking for speakers, whether they be Full Range, EnABL'd, Planar, Back Loaded, Quarter Wave, or whatever.

Thanks!
--Dale
Old 31st May 2012, 05:51 PM   #32
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceler8 View Post
I dunno, I kind of agree with Fakeout. As a potential future customer I find the Planet_10 hifi site hard to use. I fully understand that the site has evolved to it's current state over time and that the formatting isn't the primary goal (especially true for small businesses).

Here are some suggestions based off my use of the site:
Some links in the pricing page just redirect to a generic listing of products while others go to a product specific page. I would prefer a page per product even if it's just a single photo and the price.

Part of my problem is that I don't know what I want.
therein lies the rub for a lot of us

Quote:

A product finder would be hugely helpful. It doesn't need to be fancy or complicated, just a few guidelines could be offered (e.g. in my case what works well for a SET Tube amp @ 8W in a large room with a powered sub). I don't know what size speaker I want 4", 8", 120mm? What are the general characteristics of each?
In addition to the standard questions of "roomsize / listening tastes/habits/ electronics" (several of which you've answered), is the fact that the general characteristics of each size class / cone material / etc etc, is that there can be more sonic differences between them than similarities - sooner or later you need to test your own taste. All the pretty printed specs and anecdotal impressions of others can't predict what will "work" for you; the first time at least - eventually you might think your experience will allow for individual intuition to develop - but of course that will frequently be disproved when you listen without bias - which even for professional reviewers is much harder than it sounds.

Quote:

I am planning on DIY building an enclosure for my new speakers. It would be awesome if each speaker page had a link and some photos of applicable plans. I realize that some of this is proprietary, but a simple thumbnail would be enough. It is hard to match drivers to enclosures in the current site.
good suggestions

Quote:
I think a succinct definition of EnABL should be in large print and on the first page. To a noobie, this is a confusing topic and getting a definition out of the monster thread on DIYAudio is next to impossible.
good luck with that - even among folks who've tried to ignore the noisy discussion and just listened to treated drivers, there's no overwhelming consensus at to what differences they're hearing - some profess none at all, while others (myself among them) identify greatly enhanced inner detail, timing and rhythmic coherency, and depth of soundstage

Quote:

I know that sometimes suggestions can sound like criticism. Please don't take me that way! I truly want to help Planet_10's site to be better. I also know that someone will point out that I could 'Simply read the forums for all this information'. While yes, that is true, I simply do not have time to read the gory details on every single thread. I am looking for speakers, whether they be Full Range, EnABL'd, Planar, Back Loaded, Quarter Wave, or whatever.

Thanks!
--Dale
nothing wrong with "constructive critique" - how far could any of us advance without it? - but when it gets vituperative/destructive, then everyone loses
Old 31st May 2012, 06:10 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx Dale, your suggestions sound good. I am in the midst of migrating the entire site, most of the current "community" content will be moving to planet_10 hifi so that i can streamline the p10-hifi site. Before i organize and add some of the fancy touches i need to get all th emain content written

dave
Old 5th June 2012, 02:22 AM   #34
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

If I understand what you wrote - you plan to separate the DIY stuff from the commercial stuff ? - this is a very good idea indeed. It will allow you to optimize them separately to do what each does best and avoid any 'conflict of interest' questions from people.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 5th June 2012, 02:55 PM   #35
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
If I understand what you wrote - you plan to separate the DIY stuff from the commercial stuff ? - this is a very good idea indeed. It will allow you to optimize them separately to do what each does best and avoid any 'conflict of interest' questions from people.

I can certainly appreciate the problems on the public sections of forums such as this, but out of curiosity, how can there be conflict of interest in the commercial sections or moreover a personal site?
Old 5th June 2012, 03:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

The mix of freely available plans as well as products for sale is a really great thing to me. It's what got me looking at the Planet 10 site and then eventually buying a plan set after making one of the free designs. David also puts on a community event each year where people can show off what they've made, talk about the hobby, etc. I don't think there's any line that can be drawn between his personal and commercial stuff when it comes to speakers and audio.

I appreciate all the work Dave does and puts out there for people like me to build on. I get a bit galled when someone complains about what the website looks like or it's contents!

Kyle
Old 14th June 2012, 01:24 AM   #37
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I can certainly appreciate the problems on the public sections of forums such as this, but out of curiosity, how can there be conflict of interest in the commercial sections or moreover a personal site?
I was just commenting in general about websites, I was not commenting about forums at all. At least I thought that was the question being asked - about web sites.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th June 2012, 01:59 AM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
you plan to separate the DIY stuff from the commercial stuff ?
Yes. Not officially live yet, but 2nd pass is done -- stuff extracted from p10-hifi with minimal enhancement, serious updates won't happen till i have all my sites over to the new picture host. Comments appreciated,

frugal-phile.com

dave
Old 7th July 2012, 07:17 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I'm excited you decided to streamline the site. As someone who is a recording engineer, and looking to build some single driver speakers for both my studio, and my living room; I found being a newbie trying to get info off of your site extremely difficult.

I'm sure it is a PITA right now, but I'd like to give you some encouragement, and assure you that having a simpler, easier to navigate site will bring more enthusiasts into the fold.

Thanks for the hard work.

-Mike
Old 8th July 2012, 07:13 AM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx. The site was like a small house with a number of different add-ons as what we did changed.

I've still got some work today, but i am happy that it flows better now.

dave

PS: The outage overnight was due to a router crashing that kept the server from connecting to the internet.

Hide this!Advertise here!