• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

uFonken88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No, i haven't done such a beast. I am just about to release a set of free plans for FR88ex. Amoungst the 5 plans is a 'Ken-Lite -- slightly taller than the uFonken.

I currently have 4 of the 5 designs prototyped & am listening to them in the big system (althou the main thrust of these is as computer speakers -- i have 10 pr of FR88 to use up, and the local computer shop has asked for something a step up from the usual fare). Jon Parkhurst is working on the design we didn't cover -- The Fence Post ML-TL.

I would rank the FF85wk as a decided step up from the Fountek in terms of sonic clarity -- the FR88 has a bit of a coloured midrange, goes lower, althou not as extended at the top. If you want both clarity & bass extension, one of the Alpair6.2, the paper giving a "classic" presentation with a bit of a soft top but the greatest LF extension, the metal giving up a bit of LF but with similar HF to the little Fostex.

For the application they are quite acceptable.

dave

Does that exist? :radar: (for the Fountek FR88EX)

I read Fostex drivers "shout" at you. So, I was wondering...

some are certainly more colorful than others, and I have heard one model of Fostex that is almost unlistenable, but there are several models that would give the FR88EX a run for the money - the FF85WK most notably

for that matter in this current price range ( "settled down" to $40 ea), there are any number of 3-4" widebanders by Fostex, Mark Audio, Vifa, TB, Dayton, etc to choose from - I doubt anyone has heard them all

Oh coolies, new designs coming up. :p

Alpair6.2, well, I might consider that if I build a pair of speakers for my mother for next x-mas. :xmastree:

For me, yeah, I'm more into the $40 range. I keep thinking I might want a real small pair of cabinets next to my computer and larger or slightly larger ones...

Just a passing thought though, one thing I'd like to see out of curiosity would be a small horn-like design less than 28cm high.

Oh coolies, new designs coming up. :p

Alpair6.2, well, I might consider that if I build a pair of speakers for my mother for next x-mas. :xmastree:

For me, yeah, I'm more into the $40 range. I keep thinking I might want a real small pair of cabinets next to my computer and larger or slightly larger ones...
FF85WK in uFonken - I wouldn't describe any of the WK series I've heard to date ( 85/125 and 165) as shouty

Just a passing thought though, one thing I'd like to see out of curiosity would be a small horn-like design less than 28cm high.
just don't expect any LF output - even with substantial EQ

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
attachment.php

one thing I'd like to see out of curiosity would be a small horn-like design less than 28cm high.

Anything that small won't be a horn specifically, it will be a quarter-wave/TL.

One of the designs is a mass-loaded "tapped" conical horn, but it is closer to a metre tall.

dave

Attachments

• fountek-four.jpg
    fountek-four.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 958
Assuming I'd want to build a pair of small speakers with the Fostex FF85WK, I might want to make a larger build with either the Mark Audio CHR-70 or CSS EL70. I read the 3rd generation CHR-70 has better higher frequencies and the CSS EL70 is apparently lacking with the higher frequencies. Is there a 3rd generation EL70?

Uh, well, I'm kind of mixed up here since I haven't heard these drivers. I'm wondering though if anyone can comment on how "tiring" or "fatiguing" these drivers can be. I have the impression bright speakers with a high amount of treble can tire out your ears. Is there one that would be easier on the ears? Is there one that would be more suitable to music alone or music and movies?

Assuming I'd want to build a pair of small speakers with the Fostex FF85WK, I might want to make a larger build with either the Mark Audio CHR-70 or CSS EL70. I read the 3rd generation CHR-70 has better higher frequencies and the CSS EL70 is apparently lacking with the higher frequencies. Is there a 3rd generation EL70?

Nope, the EL70 was an OEM unit run for CSS, and will not likely be duplicated in its exact original form. The closest thing in current production by Mark would be the CHP70.3, which in fact is the model with a "shelved" HF range.

Uh, well, I'm kind of mixed up here since I haven't heard these drivers. I'm wondering though if anyone can comment on how "tiring" or "fatiguing" these drivers can be. I have the impression bright speakers with a high amount of treble can tire out your ears. Is there one that would be easier on the ears? Is there one that would be more suitable to music alone or music and movies?
sounds like you're starting to realize that:

not all speakers sound the same
individual's hearing acuity, FR response if you like, and sensitivities vary
not all listeners will hear the same thing, or for that matter agree with each other as to what should or does sound "right" -(that could cause some controversy)

there is no single best, and there are far too many variables that only after your listening to known exemplars and identifying what you do/don't like can an informed conversation take place, including suggestions on which way to proceed

all that said, I can certainly endorse the FF85WK in a small enclosure for near field use, and in a choice between the current CHP70.3 and the EL70 for both music and movies, I'd elect for the EL70

now if your budget for the larger system could be stretched to afford Alpair7.3 ...

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

By the way, I find this Freddie Chang design nice-looking (and maybe simple to make): http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/FreddieChang-map-040308.pdf
I hope it shows up for other drivers.

among this "family", the Brynn (half size version shown to the left) works quite well with the old FE127E, and is relatively simple to build.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Brynn-GabrielChang-map-021107.pdf

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

remember that all of the enclosures at that site were optimized as best as could be for specific driver models, and cavalierly dropping in another make model that happens to fit the box, or talking about "scaling", is fraught with peril - well, not guaranteed of success is the point

remember that all of the enclosures at that site were optimized as best as could be for specific driver models, and cavalierly dropping in another make model that happens to fit the box, or talking about "scaling", is fraught with peril - well, not guaranteed of success is the point

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I just posted that link as a possible suggestion. One of the coolest designs that I've seen is this one though: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/VarKalEL-191111.pdf
and this one:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...arkaaudio-ej-jordan-tang-bands-nmar-ken6m.gif

The second one makes me wonder what it would sound like.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I just posted that link as a possible suggestion. One of the coolest designs that I've seen is this one though: Kal-EL70
and this one: nMar-Ken6m
The second one makes me wonder what it would sound like.

Kal-El are the EL70 Mar-Kels for the euro-only CHP-70 (1st gen). A CGR Mar-Kel could easily be adated to look the same.

The nMar-Ken stretches the limits, and the vent is a bit impractical -- i've not heard if anyone has built them yet. At just a bit bigger the uMar-Ken6.2 has better bass and will house either metal or paper A6.2 with no other changes.

dave

I had serious fatigue problems with Fostex FE127e for hi-fi, but I'm currently using one (Moon Onken cabinet) as my centre-channel in my HT set up and it's clarity for voices is superb (not much bass to my ears though) and in this HT application I haven't found it fatiguing.

I have used the Fountek FR88 in a the golden-ratio Onken slot port MARTELLO cabinet (a kind of uFonken88). For the size of driver it's best suited for small rooms and near field listening so the enclosures I built are desk-top sized. It does not have quite the same clarity of sound as the Fostex FE127 but it does sound good - even my die-hard SET friend who uses big open baffle speakers was amazed. I have not found it fatiguing, unless the source material is harsh to start with. I have been impressed with the bass for the size of enclosure and size of driver and others who have built it were equally surprised. A pity the price of this driver has gone up so much of late.

I've not heard the FF85wk but I did take a peak at the data sheet. I don't see the same 7kHz peak in the response that is present in the FE127e. There's a bit of bump at 10kHz on-axis but it doesn't look too bad and would appear to drop off quickly once you go off-axis.

I've tried EL70's briefly in the same Moon Onken enclosure and it sounds far fuller and rather nicely balanced - I'm looking forward to pressing these into service. The bass response is clearly much stronger than either the FE127e or FR88.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
fakeout, you're running the risk of paralysis by analysis - the sooner you pull the trigger and decide on a driver and enclosure for your first build the better

I stick with my earlier recommendation of the EL70 - the smallest box I've heard it in is the http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

if those dimensions are too large for your desk-top application, look at either the Fostex FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX - they're within $2 of each other, and I've built smallish boxes for both

of the latter 2, I prefer the Fostex

one step up in the Fountek line ( i.e FR89EX) puts you in the price range of Fostex FF105WK, Alpair6P or M, then there's the whole line of TangBand, and others - it's just too easy to get bewildered - see opening sentence

fat lotta help we are :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.