uFonken88 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 29th March 2012, 06:02 PM   #31
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks planet10 and chrisb for the considerate responses. The musicality of the small driver is true; i have experienced this with the vintage tan colored "holey" basket vintage alnico but cannot take much power. So i prefer drivers that are durable; the fe126 was good considering but am looking for that musical sound and also a speaker that disappears in the sound stage. Have also been trying to read about eNabl. Can the EL70 produce this effect and what is the best cabinet for soundstage? articulate bass is important. The pensil is a bass reflex? and the Fmk3 is a horn with a bottom choke point?
Old 29th March 2012, 07:03 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pensil is an ML-TL. FH3 is a horn, the choke at the bottom being a variant of Klipsch's rubber throat (did i get that right Scott?).

EL70 is a wonderful driver, very good in its own right, and very high bang for the buck on topof that, even better treated (to many ears -- the demo pairs (treated/untreated) mMar-Kel70 have gone out and the people auditioning haven't perceived a difference, some people hear a difference right away (and in blind tests -- don't know whether you'd call them dounle blind -- system set up in advance, switchbox, speakers hidden, test self administered with the setup person no where in sight).

It does not have the DDR of something like an Alpair7.3 (also treated) but this gives it an edge with lesser amplifiers, is more robust, and has the capability of an amazing LF extention.

The best finesse in the bass (of the boxes i have heard) are the full-size Mar-Kels, then the FH3, then the Pensil. How low they go is the inverse of that (ie more extension usually means giving up some control/finese)

Chris is currently working on WoofTs (with 2xEL166 per) for our proto wide Trapezoid Mar-Kels. The WoofTs will act as integral, cosmetically matched stands, with the Mar-Kel70wT inverted on top of them

Click the image to open in full size.

It will be very interesting to see how they do when relieved of the heavy lifting, and with even more extension and weight in the bass. Zia is working on an integrated variation of the same theme with the same drivers.

dave
Old 29th March 2012, 07:07 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

PS Doggy

Any chance you can make it to this year's diyFEST? A nice drive thru Manning Park

dave
Old 29th March 2012, 07:18 PM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
Thanks planet10 and chrisb for the considerate responses. The musicality of the small driver is true; i have experienced this with the vintage tan colored "holey" basket vintage alnico but cannot take much power. So i prefer drivers that are durable; the fe126 was good considering but am looking for that musical sound and also a speaker that disappears in the sound stage. Have also been trying to read about eNabl. Can the EL70 produce this effect and what is the best cabinet for soundstage? articulate bass is important. The pensil is a bass reflex? and the Fmk3 is a horn with a bottom choke point?

Pensil is an MLTL - aspect ratio of internal dimensions drive it toward the 1/4 wave end of the continuum .

Yes, the FH3 is a BLH type with bottom choke point - if you like, Scott or Dave could give you a more techno-geek description.

The FE126E doesn't disappear as much as do the EL70 or Alpairs (7.3 particularly) - more so than many drivers in this weight class (including the FF125WK) the FE126E lets you know it's there.

edit: Dave beat me to the punch while answering the phone - and no doubt he was multi-tasking as well
Old 29th March 2012, 09:50 PM   #35
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any chance you can make it to this year's diyFEST? A nice drive thru Manning Park
Yes, I think I can make it, I have a tent and gear
Old 29th March 2012, 10:24 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
Yes, I think I can make it, I have a tent and gear

You'll have fun.

dave
Old 4th April 2012, 12:56 AM   #37
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm going to link to Planet10' post on the cabinets for the Fountek FR88EX. The Fountek Five for FR88ex
Old 4th April 2012, 01:45 AM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx FB.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!