Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 7th March 2012, 02:06 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

... Fostex FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX...

of the latter 2, I prefer the Fostex
Me too. You lose bass, but gain in clarity, DDR and top end.

dave
Old 7th March 2012, 08:54 AM   #22
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
fakeout, you're running the risk of paralysis by analysis - the sooner you pull the trigger and decide on a driver and enclosure for your first build the better

I stick with my earlier recommendation of the EL70 - the smallest box I've heard it in is the http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

if those dimensions are too large for your desk-top application, look at either the Fostex FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX - they're within $2 of each other, and I've built smallish boxes for both

one step up in the Fountek line ( i.e FR89EX) puts you in the price range of Fostex FF105WK, Alpair6P or M, then there's the whole line of TangBand, and others - it's just too easy to get bewildered - see opening sentence

fat lotta help we are
Yeah, the only thing is, with the Tang Band, I see all kinds of messages that go in every direction. Tang Band is where people don't agree I guess, lol.

I did see a Planet 10 message though that almost creeped me out about Fostex though:
Which driver is the "real" Fe103a??

Quote:
I've yet to find a set of the Foster version that don't need to have their surround reattached... you don't want to stress them to much until they are repaired.

What in the world does this mean? (Oops, it says Foster, not Fostex haha.)

Oh well, got my tracking number for my Solen.ca order of $7 Visaton R10SC drivers and $24 Lepai amp. Kind of an x-mas gift to myself. I'll probably be experimenting lots with cardboard boxes I guess.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:06 AM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
I did see a Planet 10 message though that almost creeped me out
We are talking about drivers that are 40-50 years old.

Foster is the parent company of Fostex.

dave
Old 7th March 2012, 02:37 PM   #24
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
fakeout, you're running the risk of paralysis by analysis - the sooner you pull the trigger and decide on a driver and enclosure for your first build the better

I stick with my earlier recommendation of the EL70 - the smallest box I've heard it in is the http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

if those dimensions are too large for your desk-top application, look at either the Fostex FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX - they're within $2 of each other, and I've built smallish boxes for both

one step up in the Fountek line ( i.e FR89EX) puts you in the price range of Fostex FF105WK, Alpair6P or M, then there's the whole line of TangBand, and others - it's just too easy to get bewildered - see opening sentence

fat lotta help we are
I think examining and exploring different ideas is fun. I don't think you need to worry about analysis/paralysis. I read an older message saying Planet 10 had thousands of CAD designs for different enclosures. Funny thing is, I didn't say I also ordered a pair of Veravox 3X. I have no idea what the specs are and can't wait to experiment. If Planet 10 has thousands of plans, I wonder if he has a Veravox 3X plan. Actually, I'm joking but I did read they're somewhat comparable to Fostex FF85K. I'd like to hook them up to an old Sanyo boombox if I can find out what connectors I need to connect them to the side jacks. They look like the same mini size that goes into a computer, not sure yet.
Old 28th March 2012, 04:34 PM   #25
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Thinking....of building another

Over the years I have built many different speakers; blh and similar. I confess i wanted always to do my own thing mostly and resisted using proven designs except for my current BIB with the ff165k. I like a bigger cabinet mostly for them to be a floor stander but am willing to make the music the ultimate goal, and not be constrained by what i think(bigger is better?) I have enjoyed the musicality of 3-4" drivers(126e) but ended up ultimately overpowering them. I agree also that fostex have an irritating hf.

So I am thinking about using the EL70 or Alpair 6.2 or 7.3(this last one would be constrained choice because of cost) or the FF125wk.

I like the build of the "mini" BIB or also the Frugal mk 3

Any suggestions? for what to build? my room size is 13'x14' amp will be lm3875
Old 28th March 2012, 05:20 PM   #26
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default pardon me

Apologies for perhaps posting this in wrong place, not meant to "hijack" this thread. just got carried away by the sights of all those cabs!
Old 28th March 2012, 06:30 PM   #27
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
Over the years I have built many different speakers; blh and similar. I confess i wanted always to do my own thing mostly and resisted using proven designs except for my current BIB with the ff165k. I like a bigger cabinet mostly for them to be a floor stander but am willing to make the music the ultimate goal, and not be constrained by what i think(bigger is better?) I have enjoyed the musicality of 3-4" drivers(126e) but ended up ultimately overpowering them. I agree also that fostex have an irritating hf.

So I am thinking about using the EL70 or Alpair 6.2 or 7.3(this last one would be constrained choice because of cost) or the FF125wk.

well, Fostex's new WK series has far less of the "Fostex Fatigue Factor", and the 125WK would be another candidate for the FH3, but we haven't actually tried them yet

if your room allows or necessitates the use of corner placement, the Mark Audio drivers might well be balanced heavy on the bass side compared to the FE126E

If your budget allows, I'd heartily recommend the Alpair 7.3 in Pensil - they put the FR88s in their place

actually, even the Alpair6.2M does that
Old 28th March 2012, 06:42 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
So I am thinking about using the EL70 or Alpair 6.2 or 7.3 (this last one would be constrained choice because of cost) or the FF125wk.

All those drivers are good and ones i have extensive experience with.

Small room, gain clone, i'd suggest getting some EL70 while you can (and low post cost, coming from either Abbotsford or Victoria).

Except for the A6.2 all are known to work in FH3, it has been speculated that Twin A6.2 would also work (and really push your budget)

dave
Old 28th March 2012, 06:43 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Apologies for perhaps posting this in wrong place, not meant to "hijack" this thread. just got carried away by the sights of all those cabs!
Yes, we might need to slpit it off or find a more appropriate thread to move it to so that peoplewill pay attention.

dave
Old 28th March 2012, 06:45 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

On-topic. A 'Ken-lite will be featuring in a set of five FR88ex plans that will be released shortly. The 'Ken-lite with the addition of a holey brace will essentially be the uFonken88.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!