• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dave and others.

My AN 12's are no longer thanks to a faulty preamp. Aaaaah where to start now ?

I'm told the new Fx 125 driver is quite something else ( Bud Purvine ), so that is a possibility. Room is large though say 70m2. I have access to 4 No. 8 inch bass drivers. Waiting for the specs but they have come out of high end Verity speakers.

My thinking is to get some enabled FR drivers and build either a FAST setup or something along the lines of a Tyson. Bi amping is preferred.

Any suggestions.

Cheers Craig

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Craig,

Bi-amping is preferred :) Makes life a lot easier.

By FX125 do you mean the Fostex FF125wk (my version will be FF125wKeN)?

Veritys are no slouch, and most get away with 1 bass driver, so you should have lots of available grunt.

Once the bass is taken care of, a different set of criterion can be used to choose a FR as mid-tweeter.

Your room is a bit smaller than mine (as long as you don't have outrageous ceiling height) so what i experience in my room level wise should be simialr at least.

What amps? What genres of music? What kinds of characteristics do you value over others? Budget? WAF considerations?

dave

Dave,

Blues, jazz, Alternative, some rock. Vocals mainly.
Love textured mids and airy highs with nice depth and decay.
Budget and waf not an issue.
Amps are varied., but tube is preferred. Have a 45 on order. 120 tungsol intergrated and a woo2 preamp with halcro power amp. like the 6sl7and 6sn7 small tubes.

have some fostex 203's and are dissapointed.
good snap and airy highs but shocking tone. Not a good mid to lower range.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Blues, jazz, Alternative, some rock. Vocals mainly.
Love textured mids and airy highs with nice depth and decay.

I can relate to that music selection :D

My 1st suggestions would be Alpair7.3 and FF85wk. A 45 might be a bit challenged to drive these to serious levels, but would be sublime if well executed.

Sounds like you have some numbers to play with.

I'm planning on starting with the A7.3 for the statement speaker i am working on (but the mid-tweeter box should work with a range of drivers).

dave

Hi Dave,

Yes know the alpair 7.3, you have mentioned it a few times. Okay so you are working on a box for me ?

Will be listenning to the 45 in about a month or so. I'm not sure whether it will be a 45 or a 300 yet. Will probably drive the bass with the 120 integrated. it will also work with 6ca7 drive tubes.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is one approach... that also makes the sat usable all by itself and gives a wider range of XO possibilities,

The midTL i am using in the statement is not concerned with getting bass, just reducing any reflections back thru the cone and flatting of the resonante peak.

I am currently working thru a full set of 3 trapezoidal boxes with the idea that there will be matching WoofTs for each size. The wider/stumpier enclosures will provide more volume for the woofers, but will look kind of odd on its own

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It can be one box or 2. With a 'ken you would sit it on top of a woofT, which makes the assembly into a floorstander.

The midTL is usually at its best aesthetically in the box, or mutated to match the woofer box.

For instance Tysen integrates the 2, and Zia is working on a dual EL166 + EL70 in a similar vein.

The precursor to Tysen was a uFonken + a separate woofer box (i'll be resurrecting that one soon).

In my statement the midTL is buried into the box similar to the EL166 MTM, the rest of the enclosure giving the equivalent of a 12" round over (at least so far -- this one is a hard one to get all the conflicting compromises into line.

And then there is the tapered 20 sided A7.3 enclosure i have yet to start working on for Bernie. Just drawing it gives me the shudders, well beyond my ability to make it.

dave

Dave,

Just looked a few of those up. Don't want to compromise soud.
Happy with two kens, Tysen or tysen with separate woofer.
Asthetically not against dual TL's one for mid and one for bass if you think that is sonicslly better. Would that compromise mids quality.
If you think you can get the statement right press on.
Mids are important here.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The midTL is optimized for midTop performance. The 'Kens, althou superb, a still trying to generate sufficient bass to be usable on their own. The midTL ratchets things up just a bit. Althou with extra damping placed into the 'Kens vents they will get awfully close.

The biggest benefit of either as a midtweeter is the HP that keeps the bass out.

Her is a render of the uFonkenSET with its WoofT to give an idea. Now it is the smallest of the trapezoids and thst only gives me (barely) room to fit 2 4" woofers.

uFonkenSET-wWoofT-gsX.gif

There is a prototype of the woof-wT for the wide Trapezoids in Western Oz, with Mar-Ken12T, but i have been asked to not post pictures until they are pretty. That woofT is based on the 32" ML-TL.

For instance Tysen integrates the 2, and Zia is working on a dual EL166 + EL70 in a similar vein.

SWMBO is monitoring my actions when it comes to audio :D, currently restricted to just listening and fooling around with amps and cables.

The precursor to Tysen was a uFonken + a separate woofer box (i'll be resurrecting that one soon).

The separate woofer box though archaic is helpful too - I have 2 x P10 Onkens and 1 BR box that I can put on top the woof box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.