New Project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 21st February 2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Ginge is offline Ginge  Australia
diyAudio Member

No Probs. How far away are you on the cab plans ?

Ccheers
Old 21st February 2012, 08:48 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It could happen pretty quick... you more interested in the midTL or one of the fatter 'Kens?

Any idea what kind of volume the woofers will need? (what did Verity use them in?)

dave
Old 21st February 2012, 09:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

If FAST then mid cabinet would sit on woof TL ?
Or were you thinking one box. If Ken style then one on top of the other.
Old 21st February 2012, 09:34 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It can be one box or 2. With a 'ken you would sit it on top of a woofT, which makes the assembly into a floorstander.

The midTL is usually at its best aesthetically in the box, or mutated to match the woofer box.

For instance Tysen integrates the 2, and Zia is working on a dual EL166 + EL70 in a similar vein.

The precursor to Tysen was a uFonken + a separate woofer box (i'll be resurrecting that one soon).

In my statement the midTL is buried into the box similar to the EL166 MTM, the rest of the enclosure giving the equivalent of a 12" round over (at least so far -- this one is a hard one to get all the conflicting compromises into line.

And then there is the tapered 20 sided A7.3 enclosure i have yet to start working on for Bernie. Just drawing it gives me the shudders, well beyond my ability to make it.

dave
Old 21st February 2012, 09:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Just looked a few of those up. Don't want to compromise soud.
Happy with two kens, Tysen or tysen with separate woofer.
Asthetically not against dual TL's one for mid and one for bass if you think that is sonicslly better. Would that compromise mids quality.
If you think you can get the statement right press on.
Mids are important here.

Cheers
Old 21st February 2012, 10:02 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The midTL is optimized for midTop performance. The 'Kens, althou superb, a still trying to generate sufficient bass to be usable on their own. The midTL ratchets things up just a bit. Althou with extra damping placed into the 'Kens vents they will get awfully close.

The biggest benefit of either as a midtweeter is the HP that keeps the bass out.

Her is a render of the uFonkenSET with its WoofT to give an idea. Now it is the smallest of the trapezoids and thst only gives me (barely) room to fit 2 4" woofers.

Click the image to open in full size.

There is a prototype of the woof-wT for the wide Trapezoids in Western Oz, with Mar-Ken12T, but i have been asked to not post pictures until they are pretty. That woofT is based on the 32" ML-TL.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Dave,
Happy with that ufonken style separates in bigger mode. Can always make a ken for the mid if i want to use it by itself. Lets go the best sound route.

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:24 AM   #18
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Here is a render of the uFonkenSET with its WoofT to give an idea. Now it is the smallest of the trapezoids and that only gives me (barely) room to fit 2 4" woofers.

"you" ?

some of this stuff is a whole lot easier to draw than to build
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:34 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have to fit them into the drawing 1st...

dave
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:50 PM   #20
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For instance Tysen integrates the 2, and Zia is working on a dual EL166 + EL70 in a similar vein.
SWMBO is monitoring my actions when it comes to audio , currently restricted to just listening and fooling around with amps and cables.

Quote:
The precursor to Tysen was a uFonken + a separate woofer box (i'll be resurrecting that one soon).
The separate woofer box though archaic is helpful too - I have 2 x P10 Onkens and 1 BR box that I can put on top the woof box.

Hide this!Advertise here!