• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twin Chr-ken70.3 Castle teaser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

Well, I have just about finished my first full range build.

Twin Chr-ken70 Castle...or is it castle of the twin chr-ken70? If you could straighten me out on the nomeclature, Dave, I would appreciate it.

Here are a few teaser shots until I finish later this week.
f3871383.jpg

367d4908.jpg

When I saw the twin Chr-ken I knew I wanted to build it, but being concerned about lobing I asked dave if I could "castle" it. He directed me to the thread where he had mentioned it as a possibility, so I dove in.
I was close to finishing, but I was not going to be in the shop for a few days so I slapped them together without braces or proper stuffing. Thus, the screws in the tops. I am really enjoying the sound as is though.

I will give a full review and some more pics when they are done.

Thanks everyone here for you inspirational builds and coincidental obsessions! Especially Dave and Chis for all their development and pioneering.

Benj

Will do. Although the drivers have been broken in out of the cabinet for over 100 hours using a playlist with 4 hours of music and then an hour rest. Played that for 4-5 days with them on the bench. I need to get the damping and bracing right before I give a real review. First impressions are very good.

Benj

that design is good if you want surreal sound. It cant be that great for precise imaging though right?

I did that with my AN cast 8's...switch them to back of cab and overall much better. Your cabs are producing different properties compared to the AN benal 2.8 cab design. (the one with the 2 x 3 inch ports).

pictures arent poofing out Dave....THEY"RE NOT POOFING OUT DAVE!!!!!!!!

...you and Chris..I swear...

Last edited:
that design is good if you want surreal sound. It cant be that great for precise imaging though right?

which design?

If you mean the Castle microtower, or for that matter any multi-driver system with at least one firing up or rearwards, the "imaging" (depending on how you define / qualify the term) can vary depending on placement in respect of reflecting boundary surfaces
I did that with my AN cast 8's...switch them to back of cab and overall much better. Your cabs are producing different properties compared to the AN benal 2.8 cab design. (the one with the 2 x 3 inch ports).

could you clarify that?

pictures arent poofing out Dave....THEY"RE NOT POOFING OUT DAVE!!!!!!!!

...you and Chris..I swear...

I notice myself that sometimes a quick external link doesn't always do what you'd like - but I get over it.

which design?

If you mean the Castle microtower, or for that matter any multi-driver system with at least one firing up or rearwards, the "imaging" (depending on how you define / qualify the term) can vary depending on placement in respect of reflecting boundary surfaces

yea...that type

could you clarify that?

reason why is that when i set on build the AN's, the cabs offered showed the same speaker placement as the castles. I built them, but didnt like the way the sound was bouncing all around. I was also debating if I placed the speakers in a front and back arrangment...maybe that could help with BSC...thinking that the front and rear waves would meet in the middle of the cab, and provide better bass responce from the front. So, I did it and it seems to have worked. But i couldnt test anything out due to lack of brain activity in the area of speaker testing.

I notice myself that sometimes a quick external link doesn't always do what you'd like - but I get over it.

I can't get over it, Im addicted to poofing.:D

One more question...why dont the ports on the castle extend down more...to the floor?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.