• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Three flavours of Mar-Kel70 (for EL70)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bernie came down this afternoon with a proto-type Mar-Kel70mt done in solid Western Red Cedar (mid-width trapezoid). I already had the original Mar-Kel on hand, and an ealier set of proto-type Mar-Kel70wT (wide trapezoid). These were originally Mar-Ken12T, but lack of A12 spurred the conversion, This is Bernie's original solid fir build, and they are really tarted up.

260611d1326683660-advice-good-cabinets-must-meet-waf-mk70wt-fir.jpg

Sound was very similar amoungst all 3, despte having different cabs out of different materials, with EnABL 2 drivers in the wT, and EnABL1 with a zillion hrs in the regular MK70 -- the new mT a little shy on bass (it needs fine tuning of the vents).

Scott delivered a new shorter MLTL for a pair of EL166 -- i was inspired to sketch up a woofTee for the wide trapezoids.

dave

Attachments

• MarKel70comp.jpg
    MarKel70comp.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 476
  • MK70mT-cedar-comp.jpg
    MK70mT-cedar-comp.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 468
  • MK70wT-fir-comp.jpg
    MK70wT-fir-comp.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 6,424
All 3 flavors look tasty, but the new trapezoidal ones have an edge :).

Also very smart job on retrofitting the Mar-Ken12T cabinet.

-Zia

very crafty woodworker that Bernie - note particularly the additional port filler strips and EnABL pattern blocks on walnut insert adapter

and of course when the new 12s are available, the box might need to be redesigned anyway, by which time Bernie will have had even more practice with the traps.

Great! I will email you tomorrow to find out what I need to do and then organise the drivers. My wife will be glad to have something that looks better than the temporary stands I have now.
Looking forward to building again, I think it's addictive.

arny1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.