Full-Range Drivers - adjustment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 14th January 2012, 04:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full-Range Drivers - adjustment

Please excuse a newbie question - I'm looking for some pointers to get me started.

A few years back I built a pair of transmission line speakers from the IPL Acoustics plans (M3tlm ribbons I think), and I absolutely adore them. I'm keen to build another pair of speakers for another room, and I'm hooked on the transmission line concept for its tight, deep bass. I quite like the look of the Metronome design, and the idea of a single pair of full range drivers appeals.

My question is whether there is any way to adjust the sound of a full range driver. The reason I ask is because I did not initially like the sound of my M3tlms - I like a bright sound and they were just too flat. I achieved the sound I like by reducing the resistance in the tweeter output of the crossover. They're probably no longer close to the ideal flat response, but they really make the best of those ribbon tweeters, and they suit my system and my tastes - and after all, isn't that one of the big benefits of DIY audio?

What I haven't been able to figure out is how a full range driver works. Do they contain the equivalent of a traditional crossover whose component values I can change, or have I missed the point altogether and in fact I still need to build a separate crossover? Is there any other way to adjust the sound?

Given that I like a bright sound coupled with a tight, controlled bass (although I have a sub that can be used if needed), can anyone suggest whether the Metronome is a good bet, and if so, which drivers might suit my taste?

Thanks
Chris
Old 14th January 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Chris,

One of the draws of a FR speaker is the purtiy of not having any XOs, and that is how many use them. Adjustments in the low end are done with box, with damping, room placement & toe-in.

That said, you can often, and it is done, tailor the response with filters (EQ), adding a supertweeter to add more sparkle & air, or add helper woofers to solidify the bass. Nowadays & into the future, filtering can be done with DSP, which if your sources are digital, you can get your cake & eat it too (ie response can be altered without most of the downsides).

Some VERY good Metronomes have been made.

How big? What amp do you have? Hoe big is your room? How big is your budget?

dave
Old 14th January 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dave

Thanks for the reply. These speakers will not be for my main setup - they're for a room that doubles as a home cinema room, so the amp is a Sony AV 6-channel STR-DB790. The room is quite large - approx 40 sqm, so I can afford to go quite big with the speakers if necessary. I had assumed that 4" or 4.5" drivers would be sufficient, but could go larger. I hadn't really thought about budget, and I haven't looked into what these full range drivers cost. I'd say that any more than 150 for the pair of drivers might make me stop and think.

My music source is a Squeezebox so I do indeed have the option of applying some DSP, but I'd like to go with a driver that is on the bright side to start with. I assume that if I add a supertweeter then I'm going to need a separate crossover as well. I'm not averse to that though, and if a full range driver is unlikely to satisfy my need for a bright sound, then maybe I should consider that from the outset.

Thanks again - all advice gratefully received.
Old 14th January 2012, 08:58 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Bright on top, and with that budget, i'd tend to recommend CHR70.3. And with HT & that big a room, perhaps a pair per box.

I don't know that a Met for the CHR has been explicitly done but the EL70 one i'm gonna guess will work with a touch of retuning.

Strassacker: Speaker - kits - do it yourself
(scroll down)

dave
Old 14th January 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

FWIW most full range drivers should be used with some sort of filter,
usually a parallel resistor and inductor in series with the driver for
for the flattest response. With this arrangement you can add a
further parallel capacitor to bring up extreme treble, but it won't
get by the fact most FR's suffer from treble beaming issues.

TBH not a lot of decent driver choices in the UK.

rgds, sreten.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
FWIW most full range drivers should be used with some sort of filter
We rarely use any filters on any of our FRs.

dave
Old 14th January 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I use CHR 7.3 with no BSC or notch filter, they have a great tonal balance directly connected!

Larry
Old 14th January 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys - very helpful. After a quick look at those CHR70.3 drivers they certainly seem like they might fit the bill. But the comment about using two pairs confused me until I looked at the plans for the EL70 and discovered the bipolar option. I'd like to keep my speakers fairly close to the projection wall, so the possibility of side mounting the second pair looks interesting. What do I get from that second pair, and is the side mounting sensible or a bit of a compromise compared the rear mounting? Would the side mounted pair point in or out for best effect?

The home cinema aspect shouldn't be the main consideration here - the room is used for normal 2 channel music more often than as a cinema - but I do like to fill the room (and some way beyond if I'm honest!) with music. So given that my AV amp claims to be 100W/channel, are these 20W drivers going to be suitable? Do I get greater volume by going for two pairs of drivers?

Sreten, thanks for the tip. Now you mention it I recall seeing the filter tables, but had no idea that tweaking those circuits could boost the treble. That, and a bright driver to start with, seems like it might have the potential to get me the sound I like without going for an additional tweeter.

I'll explore this option in a bit more detail then. I'd be interested to hear feedback on the side-mounted bipolar option, and also would appreciate pointers for how to tune the EL70 design to suit the CHR70.3 drivers.
Old 14th January 2012, 11:17 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Chris, no problem, happens to everyone..
Duplicate posts deleted as requested.
Old 10th February 2012, 05:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Might sound stupid but would full range drivers be compared to pro sound drivers with the short xmas? I know there is no crossover involved but the designs parameters of the drivers? Not my expertise full range or pro sound drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!