• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Ryan's Pensil 10.2 Build Log

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Setup

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Apparently the WAF of the subwoofer has suddenly dropped. Center channel will be replaced, it will stay with the magnepans in another setup.

I'm thinking a MarKen 7.3 or 10.2 primesize. Calibration is being used so frequency response with the exception of low end extension is a non issue for now.

Current Specs:
Reciever
Denon AVR-591
1200rpm(slow and quiet) 120mm 12v fan cooling modification

Mains
Pensil 10.2 40hz high pass

Center
4x TB 315E Dipole 8 ohm 200hz high pass

Rears
2x TB 871S 4 ohm 120hz high pass

Subwoofer
Peerless 12" XLS with matching passive radiator 20hz high pass
500W Bash plate amp from Parts Express
1200rpm(slow and quiet) 120mm 12v fan cooling modification
-this is the source of the blue light, here comes the e-tape

Source
Nvidea GTX460 HDMI straight to the receiver. Streaming of the DTS and DD works.

Display
47" Philips LCD running 1080p HDMI from the computer. This is the source 99% of the time.

I am impressed with the inexpensive AVR-591. The cooling is inadequate with this unit, fan cooling keeps it cool with very low distortion. It's preamp functions are unbelievable.

Last edited:
Those Pensil's really look fantastic! I love the beveled edges on the front, it really adds a very nice touch. I don't know if Dave has a version of the center that I just built for the 10.2 yet but maybe a similar version that's not shallow would be a good match? The Shallow Mark-Ken12 Centre I just built is a fantastic match with my SuperPensil12's. Just a thought :)

Scott

Mar-Ken10.2

According to Dave's website he has the [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, san-serif]Mar-Ken10.2 plans for sale. I'm waiting on a response from him on that. I am open to other drivers because of the calibration. A prime size like the Mar-Ken10 would be a perfect fit for my table.

I put a pillow behind the dipole center I'm using and re calibrated. Running the high pass at 120hz for better integration.
[/FONT]

I'm a firm believer in keeping the same drivers for your front 3 in a HT type environment for better integration and panning. Even with the cabinets being different, by varying the stuffing in my Mark-Ken12 I was able to get a virtually seamless front stage. If I were you I would definitely make a center with another 10.2 with a box that matches the visuals/space requirements you have. Just my 2cents :)

Scott

Last edited:
Mohaganny

It does transform nicely. One of the few that I really like natural. As a very absorbent wood it stains very well by the way. If you do stain it, make sure to use a dye based stain instead of a pigment based stain. The dye stains do not mask the wood and hide contrast. The dyes will not settle on the bottom of the container.

Center Channell

Just got the plans for the Mar-Ken 10.2 from Dave he does really nice work on his plans. I should have enough Baltic birch to do the center channel. Not sure if I've got the veneer. I might need to go rummaging for small pieces in the shop. I'm hoping that with calibration I can push the Mar-kens down to 40hz otherwise I will be happy with 60hz high pass. This time I will need to breaking before I install the driver. It would years to put hundreds of hours on a center channel.

If it works out well I will do a pair for rears with a custom adjustable 2 axis mounting system made out of the same meterial.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I would not have tried so hard if I didn't know you were watching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.