• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Metronome with FE166En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bummer, looks like the met tables are only showing drivers that are no longer available of extremely expensive. Any suggestions other than the Met that leave a small footprint yet are tall floor standers? I'm hooked on a full range single driver. Trying to keep the driver cost under $100 each if possible. unless someone has a set of FE167's they would like to sell or trade for a small 6EM7 amplifier.

Bummer, looks like the met tables are only showing drivers that are no longer available of extremely expensive. Any suggestions other than the Met that leave a small footprint yet are tall floor standers? I'm hooked on a full range single driver. Trying to keep the driver cost under $100 each if possible. unless someone has a set of FE167's they would like to sell or trade for a small 6EM7 amplifier.

how tall are you thinking?

as Dave noted, while initially concerned over some technical aspects of the new models, our experience with 2 of the new FF---WK series* would suggest that the 165 would be a quite suitable candidate for FE167E designs, and at $80 each (before taxes/shipping) certainly meet the budget -

* will still need that traditional break-in period

Last edited:
Sure Chrisb.

I did some more tweaking with the dimensions as below today,

Closed Area = 6.5 sq. inch
Open Area = 65 sq.inch
Taper Ratio = 10
Line Length = 56 inches
Driver offset = 28 inches
Vent area = 6 sq.inches
Vent length = 1.17 inches
Tuning freq = around 58 Hz
Stuffing Density = 0.22 lb/ft^3

Below are the simulated results with the LA

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also please note the first several comments in this thread regarding the suitability of the 166 in this design. It'll "work" of course, but the driver could benefit from more LF gain than the Met might be able to deliver, and EQ can only go so far before the driver's excursion limit will become a major factor.

Also please note the first several comments in this thread regarding the suitability of the 166 in this design. It'll "work" of course, but the driver could benefit from more LF gain than the Met might be able to deliver, and EQ can only go so far before the driver's excursion limit will become a major factor.

Thanks Chrisb for your suggestions. Will a simple ML Straight Line TL be a better option with the FE166? Pls. suggest.

The conventional thinking for that family of drivers has always been that a BLH / labyrinth of some sort will yield most extension and "weight" to the bottom end. Of course there may be other opinions on that.

The "best" sounding example I've heard them in was the Woden Victor - not a small enclosure.

Woden Design | Victor

Thanks again for your suggestion. I had a brief discussion with Scott about the Woden Victor. Unfortunately do not have WAF approval for its size for my room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.