Excess Mar-Ken enclosures A6 & A7 bamboo ply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 27th July 2011, 12:45 AM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Excess Mar-Ken enclosures A6 & A7 bamboo ply

1st up. All agressively priced to move fast (i need the room)

2 sets of bamboo plywood B-stock dMar-Ken7 for Alpair 7. Some minor glitches meant these were excessed. The 1st is the more commonly seen caramel ply with laminated strips on the outer layers. $350/pr + shipping

Click the image to open in full size.

The 2nd (neopolitan) are stranded bamboo, where a matrix of strands form the outer layer. This is both stiffer & heavier. $350/pr + shipping

The original dMar-Ken7 prototypes/demos. Plywood with cherry veneer. These lived at Bud's tempoarilyuntil supplanted by a bamboo pair. $200 + shipping

Alpair 7.3 will not work all that well in these (1 of the reason for the aggressive prices). I can supply copper A7eN for $200/pr (regular $290) with cabinet purchase (i'll even assemble them if you'd like). I also have 1 pair stock silver Alpair7) version without super gasket) that i would supply for $100 (i will EnABL them for $80 more).

Last up is a pair of mMar-Ken6 for the original Alpair 6. Naural finish on Baltic Birch. These are a result of a communications fumble. I am essentially giving them away. $50/pr (mostly to cover the cost of packing -- someone local can call me on that, by picking up and turning over a tenner). This box is the same tuning as EL70, but some effort would need to be expended to trim the driver brace and to hog out the cutout to fit the larger driver.

All are damped, will come with the terminal cup & wire.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caramel-dMK7-comp.jpg (183.0 KB, 1368 views)
File Type: jpg neopolitan-dMK7-comp.jpg (168.8 KB, 1086 views)
File Type: jpg cherry-dMK7-protosComp.jpg (120.5 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg mMar-Ken6.jpg (100.9 KB, 739 views)
Old 27th July 2011, 12:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Last up is a pair of mMar-Ken6 for the original Alpair 6. Naural finish on Baltic Birch. These are a result of a communications fumble. I am essentially giving them away. $50/pr (mostly to cover the cost of packing -- someone local can call me on that, by picking up and turning over a tenner). This box is the same tuning as EL70, but some effort would need to be expended to trim the driver brace and to hog out the cutout to fit the larger driver.

Could you set those boxes aside for me please Dave.

Thanks,
jeff
Old 27th July 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

mMar-Ken6 set aside for Jeff...

dave
Old 27th July 2011, 03:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Where dp you source the bamboo ply?
Old 27th July 2011, 03:59 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Look up Plyboo. There should be some near you.
We were getting another brand in Seattle from Bamboo Hardwoods.
Warning - it's expensive. But really, really nice.
Old 27th July 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have something like 5 local distributors that carry various brands of bamboo ply. The Neopolitan is from Plyboo. The caramel i'm not sure.

dave
Old 27th July 2011, 06:48 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have something like 5 local distributors that carry various brands of bamboo ply. The Neopolitan is from Plyboo. The caramel i'm not sure.

dave
Old 27th July 2011, 12:46 PM   #8
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,
I'm interested in the dMar-Ken7 that are veneered in cherry for $200/pair...I'm also interested in the pair of silver stock A7 (g1, no?) for $100. So could I simply paypal $300 + shipping for the pairs of cabs and drivers? If so, I'll purchase immediately.
Regards,
Mario
Old 27th July 2011, 04:29 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave

Both the caramel (actually Amber on their product chart ) and Neopolitan were Smith & Fong Plyboo. The west coast BC distributor is Reimer Hardwoods - their NA dealer locator map :

Architectural Reps & Authorized Distributors - Bamboo Flooring & Bamboo Plywood Building Products

Don't be tempted to use the cheaper bamboo products engineered for flooring with veneer or composites core backing - it won't sound the same. The 3/4" bamboo plywood can be a bit of a bear to work with on enclosures as elaborate as the "Kens", particularly with dadoes and continuous grain wrapping on the Neopolitan - but very rewarding aesthetically.
Old 27th July 2011, 06:15 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
Dave,
I'm interested in the dMar-Ken7 that are veneered in cherry for $200/pair...I'm also interested in the pair of silver stock A7 (g1, no?) for $100. So could I simply paypal $300 + shipping for the pairs of cabs and drivers? If so, I'll purchase immediately.
Regards,
Mario
OK yours. email me and we will get the detail sorted,

Re: A7. The 1st batch came without the supergasket. The 2nd batch were the same except for super gasket (so both AlpAir7.2). The 3rd batch are the A7.3 just arrived.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!