Mar-Ken12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 26th May 2011, 05:12 AM   #1
krips is offline krips  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Mar-Ken12

I have a pair of 12's sitting here and when I get around to it, I was wondering what the bass response of the Mar-Ken12s is. Also, does the sound differ significantly from the pensil series? Thanks.
Old 26th May 2011, 05:38 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm listening to our Mar-Ken12 build as i type. I have 3 helper woofers here and haven't felt any need to hook them up. And the wife keeps asking if i think the dog's recent behaviour has anything to do with the fidelity of the HiDef TV audio thru the "new" speakers... a good case of a blind listener.

I've not heard Pensil12. I've not even heard our Pensil7 (which have been conscripted for Chris' HT system, 3.1 with a pair of woofers and A6 surround pending). His comments echo a common statement about any of the miniOnken. They trade some bass extention (and build simplicty) for finesse across the range, and a greater ability to disappear.

Bass doesn't go quite as low as the Mar-Ken10 or the Mar-Kel70 but have more slam & impact.

One more thing... the trapezodal shape turns out to be very elegant.

dave
Old 26th May 2011, 06:21 AM   #3
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Bass doesn't go quite as low as the Mar-Ken10 or the Mar-Kel70 but have more slam & impact.

dave
IMHO sometimes slam and impact do feel more rewarding.
Old 26th May 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
IMHO sometimes slam and impact do feel more rewarding.

are we talking about sound for video viewing, or have you simply not been married for 38yrs?

I'm glad Dave first posted about our perceived differences between the Pensils and MarKens - smoother bass articulation and extension ( i.e. less slam but deeper penetration), finesse from lower mid-bass on up and imaging/depth are what I notice with a higher resolution 2 channel source / amp, but with all the multichannels, bass support DSP etc involved in video system, the differences disappear.

Last edited by chrisb; 26th May 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 26th May 2011, 05:55 PM   #5
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
are we talking about sound for video viewing, or have you simply not been married for 38yrs?
Chris, I am dwarfed in that respect; have a few more years to go to reach 38 years age myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I'm glad Dave first posted about our perceived differences between the Pensils and MarKens - smoother bass articulation and extension ( i.e. less slam but deeper penetration), finesse from lower mid-bass on up and imaging/depth are what I notice with a higher resolution 2 channel source / amp, but with all the multichannels, bass support DSP etc involved in video system, the differences disappear.
Sorry if my post was confusing - or maybe I was confused My understanding was that Mar-Kel70 and Mar-Ken10 bass was lower (as in Hz) but Mar-Ken12 bass was tighter and had more slam (but maybe not as low) - I was referring to that aspect Mar-Ken to Mar-Ken.

You and Dave talk a lot about finesse and articulation, and I have just started to realize the importance of both for quality listening. Better finesse and articulation any day for most music vs slam and loudness.

-Zia
Old 26th May 2011, 06:49 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
but Mar-Ken12 bass was tighter
Tighter maybe a bit over Mar-Kel but similar to Mar-Ken 7 & 10.

Best of all worlds probably Mar-Ken7 with 2 (or more) good extended active 7-10" midbass drivers. An experiment in the queue that had to be postponed due to a A7 shortage. And even a 20-sided tapered Mar-Ken7 in the works. Glad it is not me buidling it.

dave
Old 26th May 2011, 06:55 PM   #7
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave: Any (other) interest in the MarKen 12 trapezoid cab migrating to the 10.2's?
don
Old 26th May 2011, 07:38 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, they will come, And for the A7 (which also means for the CHR), and if for the CHR the EL70/CHP as well. And maybe a floorstander MTM with 2 CHP-BW and A6P.

dave
Old 26th May 2011, 07:50 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

once our collective heads are wrapped around how to simplify the build of the tapered boxes, I think you'd be seeing a lot more of them - but maybe not in bamboo just yet

photos don't do justice to Bernie's recycle D-Fir flooring boxes for the 12s (even ScottyD would have to approve)
Old 27th May 2011, 01:12 AM   #10
krips is offline krips  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sounds like for HT (xo @ 80hz) with a hint of music that the Mar-Ken12s are the cab I should go with. Thanks .

Hide this!Advertise here!