miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 2nd May 2011, 05:46 AM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery

I am starting this thread for people to post their pictures of their miniOnken/Fonken builds. I'll start off with some of our more recent builds.

There has become a confusing array of family members, i have another thread where i try to keep up with all of them. fonken-style box nomenclature... what is with those names?

dave
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:47 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'll start with the latest.

Bernie (doesn't post here) came by today with his Mar-Ken12 to get my help detailing them and wiring in the drivers. This is the 1st set i've heard (Chris has had our (unfinished) build at his house, but with stock drivers (they are now veneered awaiting time in the spray booth). Bernie's build is of solid Douglas Fir with some dark exotic or semi-exotic vent spacers (the fir used to be his floor). The aged "orangish" colour of the fir goes really well with the copper drivers.

Even with few hours on them, i get the impression that these do some things (imaging) much better than the Classic GR Mar-Ken12 that i've listened to extensively.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the 1st of the trapezoidal miniOnken (irregular octagons if you count the champhers) -- the configuration will spread thriout the line. The tapered shape was the solution to fitting the wide bezel A12 into the small volume it wanted (same as A10.2, FE127e, and EL70 (A10.2 will also go nto a larger version))

dave
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:51 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Stranded neopolitan bamboo plywood dMar-Ken7 with Alpair7eN.

This, along with FonkenPrime and the uFonken, is my personal favorite

Chris gets all the credit for the boxes. Here is a picture that shows the grain matching.

dave
Old 2nd May 2011, 01:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mmmm. Nice finishing (on both cabs. above). My little uFonkens still get compliments whenever anyone sees them.
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

IMG_1700.jpg
pre veneer. For anyone interested, this is a fine driver in a superior enclosure.
don
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:49 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Mmmm. Nice finishing (on both cabs. above). My little uFonkens still get compliments whenever anyone sees them.
Pictures?

dave
Old 2nd May 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
CedMan is offline CedMan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here's mine. It's a flat-pak from Dave. I'm currently in the process of staining it a color of sangria red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.JPG (109.8 KB, 2000 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0992.jpg (567.3 KB, 1989 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0990.jpg (512.7 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0993.JPG (143.4 KB, 650 views)
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Cedric,

How do they fair against the Focals?

dave
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:16 PM   #9
CedMan is offline CedMan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

In terms of the mid-range where these speakers shine, there are no comparison, when I listen to some music for vocal, I can pretty much smell the performer, feels like it's standing closely right in front of me, cannot be more impressed with that.

They were also really good when I listen to lighter less complex music, vocal, jazz, strings, etc, were very good.

When the music gets really complex though that's when the focal come through, music that has authority like big orchestral,etc ... focal handles it better with more details.

Bass wise obviously focal is much stronger being so much bigger with multiple drivers. I do not feel much is missing from the fonken though, it's mostly there maybe only missing some of the lowest of notes, I feel these are just what the speaker emphasis on and providing a different presentation.

It's very interesting that depending on my mood, I can get very different experience by hooking up different speakers.

Looking forward to the other ones that's coming dave ...

-Ced
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:21 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx. About what would be expected. Be an interesting experiment to biamp using the Focals as helper woofers (XO-100-300 Hz)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!