• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery

My dFonken125WK. :)

Attachments

• dFonken125-01.jpg
    dFonken125-01.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 722
  • dFonken125-04.jpg
    dFonken125-04.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 688
  • dFonken125-10.jpg
    dFonken125-10.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 654
  • dFonken125-14.jpg
    dFonken125-14.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 637
  • dFonlen125-17.jpg
    dFonlen125-17.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 620
Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I just thought I'd post some pics of my finished miniOnken build.

DSC_0849.JPG

DSC_0847.JPG

Alpair 6P in the micro Onken enclosure (uMarKen). Sounds incredibly good, have not heard anything before this that was as controlled and finessed, even in the bass department.

Spray painting the enclosure was a PITA. My next builds will use veneer instead.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It sounds pretty much like a Mar-Kel70. Maybe not capable of quite the dissappearing act as the primes or the trapezoid stand mounts. But easier to build, high WAF (Bernie took the pictured set to his brothers on the way to their owner, and wife said, we need 2 pair, 1 pr each up & downstairs).

Chris is thinking thru flat-paks on these.

dave

It sounds pretty much like a Mar-Kel70. Maybe not capable of quite the dissappearing act as the primes or the trapezoid stand mounts. But easier to build, high WAF (Bernie took the pictured set to his brothers on the way to their owner, and wife said, we need 2 pair, 1 pr each up & downstairs).

Chris is thinking thru flat-paks on these.

dave

My set of floor standers is coming along. One side is ready to line with felt, braces and put the baffle on. Was any stuffing needed to stop unwanted resonances? I am a bit hesitant to seal them up without knowing. I'll try and have a listen with them clamped on first.

KM

Attachments

• Photo May 26, 8 30 06 PM-001.jpg
    Photo May 26, 8 30 06 PM-001.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 538
  • Photo May 26, 8 30 19 PM-001.jpg
    Photo May 26, 8 30 19 PM-001.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 529
the figure on drawings I got from Dave stated between 45-106g of poly fiber batting in - I went for full felt lining and 100g on the pair currently on the bench

in my haste /hubris, I elected not to make the back panel removable and they're already buttoned up, so it's too late to change now - we'll see how they turn out

I'll do that, thanks Dave. Do you see any major benefit to putting some random height blocks behind the driver to break up any reflections that might make it back through the EL70 cone? I saw the treatment you whipped up at last year's DIY fest on another speaker.

KM

could make for an interesting jenga puzzle to combine something like that with front to back holey cabinet brace - I ran mine long enough to interlock with the port slot

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'll do that, thanks Dave. Do you see any major benefit to putting some random height blocks behind the driver to break up any reflections that might make it back through the EL70 cone? I saw the treatment you whipped up at last year's DIY fest on another speaker.

Quite beneficial. You don't want to eat up too much volume, and that close to the EL70 angled ends.

If the thot had occurred earlier the same thing could be done at the bottom.

dave