miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 30th May 2013, 05:51 PM   #201
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Dave and maybe others, I was looking into this thread and other on the forum and still cant find what the difference between trapezoidal and rectangular boxes. Maybe it is not difficult for you explain on give a reference. Thanks!
Do you expect these enclosures to work with the new Alpair 10P or you will be making some modifications?

Short answer to the second question first - yes they'd "work" in the most basic sense, but to deliver full potential, revisions to enclosure designs would be required. These could vary from fairly minor adjustment to vent tuning / dimensions, to more substantial. Dave, Scott and other designers are no doubt plugging away at the math and sketchpads, and we could expect to see new designs any time soon.

Re Trapezoidal boxes - what exactly is your question? They are tapered wider in the front than at the rear, originally to accommodate for combination of the wider flanges of Alpair drivers, and the smaller required enclosure volumes than say a similar sized Fostex driver. Think of it as an attempt to make them bigger on the outside than the inside ( opposite of the Tardis )

From some earlier posts in this thread:

MarKenT for original Alpair12 metal, which clearly shows the taper:

Click the image to open in full size.

The more rectalinear construction for smaller Aplair7 (note it's still tight to make the front baffle small enough to still fit the driver)

Old 30th May 2013, 07:15 PM   #202
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Chris has described the difference between the Rectangular & Trapezoids, here is a top view cross-section that illustrates the difference explicitly -- dMar-Ken7.3 and dMar-Ken7.3T (note that there are 2 more trapezoids that get wider and shorter, primarily to allow greater volume for a woofT for each)

A10.3 and A10p will be fitted to the A10 miniOs. Some will (likely) involve just changes in vent spacers to optimize tuning, the larger version may have an increase/decrease in volume (ie height changes) if needed to get max bass out of the driver. Once i get going on this it won't take long.

dave
Old 30th May 2013, 07:44 PM   #203
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks! So it is only for playing with volume, not for inner reflections and changing geometry for air flows to the vents, right? I would like to try this type of enclosures with new A10p's, but not sure I will be able to make trap. cabs, though.
Old 30th May 2013, 07:57 PM   #204
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! So it is only for playing with volume, not for inner reflections and changing geometry for air flows to the vents, right?
Originally the trapezoid came about as an aesthetically pleasing way of getting a wide driver into a small box. Further experimentation with drivers that would fit into either form showed that the traoezoid does have a small sonic benefit over the rectangle, particularily in its lower diffraction signature, althou the non-parallel walls also help smooth things out inside.

dave
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:58 PM   #205
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks! So it is only for playing with volume, not for inner reflections and changing geometry for air flows to the vents, right? I would like to try this type of enclosures with new A10p's, but not sure I will be able to make trap. cabs, though.

they are a bit more work - it certainly helps to have a 12 or 14" main blade and tall rip fence for the side panel bevels
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:37 PM   #206
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
they are a bit more work - it certainly helps to have a 12 or 14" main blade and tall rip fence for the side panel bevels
Oh yes!
Don
Old 8th August 2013, 02:14 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

@Dave,

Do you have the plans ready for the Trapezoid dMar Ken for the 10.3?

Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 07:28 PM   #208
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes i do. It is one of the ones i have done so far.

Chris is delivering a pair today for me to install A10.3eN into for the upcoming diyFEST.

dave
Old 8th August 2013, 08:03 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Are the plans free or to be purchased?

Can you point me in the direction either way.
Old 8th August 2013, 08:05 PM   #210
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The plans are part of a paid planset subscription.When done one of the CGR versions will be free.

email me.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!