Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 2nd May 2011, 07:23 PM   #11
CedMan is offline CedMan  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmm ... never thought about that ... should give that a try.

-Ced
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:40 PM   #12
joe58 is offline joe58  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cerdric,

Not related to to the thread, but have to give my love to the Podspeakers. Such a beautiful object.
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:52 AM   #13
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'll start with the latest.

Bernie (doesn't post here) came by today with his Mar-Ken12 to get my help detailing them and wiring in the drivers. This is the 1st set i've heard (Chris has had our (unfinished) build at his house, but with stock drivers (they are now veneered awaiting time in the spray booth). Bernie's build is of solid Douglas Fir with some dark exotic or semi-exotic vent spacers (the fir used to be his floor). The aged "orangish" colour of the fir goes really well with the copper drivers.

Even with few hours on them, i get the impression that these do some things (imaging) much better than the Classic GR Mar-Ken12 that i've listened to extensively.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the 1st of the trapezoidal miniOnken (irregular octagons if you count the champhers) -- the configuration will spread thriout the line. The tapered shape was the solution to fitting the wide bezel A12 into the small volume it wanted (same as A10.2, FE127e, and EL70 (A10.2 will also go nto a larger version))

dave
Dave,

Very pretty speakers - the natural finish is simply super!

Whatever you have on further listening impressions will be appreciated.

Btw, this orangish color was/is very popular for teak finishing in our country.

-Zia
Old 4th May 2011, 06:29 PM   #14
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here;s some photo to add to the picture gallery of my Fonken style builds.
Twin MA Alapir10 and Fostex Fe167eN.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th May 2011, 07:41 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I love the mirror black base on the one set.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:08 PM   #16
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Topsy: Curious how the 167 Fonken's w/helper tweeter compare to the MA10's in that cab.
I built a pair of the Fonken's (sans tweeter)
and am currently really enjoying the Alpair 10.2's in the Mar-Ken cabs.
The bass output from a pair of them per side must be considerable.
Very nice work indeed!!
don
Old 5th May 2011, 07:29 AM   #17
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Don,

They are not the same cabinets.

The Fostex ones are the Fonken167 floorstanders buy with a false base to aid mass loading the cabintes. The twin A10 are based on 2 x Marken10 stacked and merged into a single volume. Adjusted the spacing of the slots, and merged some together - merging the 6 slots/side into 4 slots - and stuck onto a false base. Base pairs of speakers are skinned in Oak veneer. I believe DaveD will be featuring this design as the Marken10^2 as part of his Plans offerings?

Difficult to compare both, chalk and cheese really, other that the Fostex (to my ears) really does benefit from the super tweeter whereas the A10 don't need any HF support.

The Marken10^2 where built for my son who likes modern rock type music and in this role they perform very well. The MA drivers are far more suited to this genre of music than the Fostex. He loves them. The top A10 is rolled off.
Old 5th May 2011, 07:41 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
Don,

The Marken10^2 where built for my son who likes modern rock type music and in this role they perform very well. The MA drivers are far more suited to this genre of music than the Fostex. He loves them. The top A10 is rolled off.
Can I file an adoption request ? :-)

They look great !!!

D.
Old 5th May 2011, 01:41 PM   #19
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post
Can I file an adoption request ? :-)

They look great !!!

D.
Need a pair of speakers just like that!
Old 5th May 2011, 02:11 PM   #20
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don,

They are not the same cabinets.

The Fostex ones are the Fonken167 floorstanders buy with a false base to aid mass loading the cabintes. The twin A10 are based on 2 x Marken10 stacked and merged into a single volume. Adjusted the spacing of the slots, and merged some together - merging the 6 slots/side into 4 slots - and stuck onto a false base. Base pairs of speakers are skinned in Oak veneer. I believe DaveD will be featuring this design as the Marken10^2 as part of his Plans offerings?

Difficult to compare both, chalk and cheese really, other that the Fostex (to my ears) really does benefit from the super tweeter whereas the A10 don't need any HF support.

Thanks for your impressions, Toppsy!
I was aware the cabs were different, having built the Fonkens, and Dave's Mar-Ken cabs for the Alpair 10.2
I agree, the Fonkens would benefit from a tweeter, also agree the MA 10's/10.2's seem to require no hf help, though my hearing is not what it was!
I can well imagine the Marken's would do justice to rock.
Great job, they (both) look terrific!
Best, don

Hide this!Advertise here!