Open letter to SCD re: TQWTP bipoles - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 20th April 2011, 01:53 AM   #1
FrankR is offline FrankR  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Open letter to SCD re: TQWTP bipoles

Hi Scott or Dave,

I am the current owner,as of this past Sunday,of Scott C. Dunn's TQWTP bi-poles as pictured in a very early post amongst these forums. I am seeking more information on these speakers,such as,original plan set,suggested room placement for optimum performance and any other potential tweaks these beauties could benefit from. I thank anybody here,or elsewhere that may be able to shed more light on my queries.

Sincerely,

FrankR
Old 20th April 2011, 07:16 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You got them from Seth?

They are lovely speakers. Made of solid Douglas Fir salvaged from a Vancouver Island 190x train bridge.

Design is by Tim Forman. I might have a copy of the plans somewhere.

Scott pre-treated the FE127. I put the spots on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott-FE127-bipole-MLV-1.jpg (47.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 20th April 2011, 03:33 PM   #3
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello Frank:
Good for you, those are one of my favourite speakers. As Dave indicated they are a Taper Quarter Wave design that Tim Foreman worked up. I am not sure I have a copy of the plans anymore. I may have some build pictures in my library at home. Dave will likely have a copy of the plans in his library.
I really liked the rising sound stage they produce as it let me keep the driver in the optimum postion and have the sound stage "form" at normal listening heights from my chair and while standing a bit away from them. In my room I had them about 7 ft appart, off set from the wall and toed in to create the sweetest sound. The toe in is quite slight, you will need to play a bit to get it the way you like it.
I think they will sound best with a moderate to low power tube set up or a quality pre amp and a PassLabs F4. There is a great article about Fostex drivers and current vs voltage sources on the PassLabs website.

Good for you
I hope you like them
Old 21st April 2011, 12:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You got them from Seth?

They are lovely speakers. Made of solid Douglas Fir salvaged from a Vancouver Island 190x train bridge.

Design is by Tim Forman. I might have a copy of the plans somewhere.

Scott pre-treated the FE127. I put the spots on.
Dave,

I actually got them from a young man by the name of Arlen,whom may have gotten them from Seth. I'm not sure. I am currently running them powered by a "Dynaco" ST70fed by a "Musical Fidelity" X-Can V8P headphone/pre-amplifier delivering either computer-sourced wave files or CD media from an "E-Sound" E5 CDP. I am away from them now for two weeks as I work out of province,but I'll get a serious chance to listen to them in early May. I am just trying to gather relevant information from those in the know in how to extract the best possible performance from them. Thanks!!!

FrankR
Old 21st April 2011, 02:26 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR View Post
...I am away from them now for two weeks as I work out of province,
Frank,

Where are you based? From where these speakers have been you are likely in Saskatoon, on the island, or the mainland.

If you are close you should try to make VI diyFEST in August

dave
Old 21st April 2011, 03:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Frank,

Where are you based? From where these speakers have been you are likely in Saskatoon, on the island, or the mainland.

If you are close you should try to make VI diyFEST in August

dave
Dave,

I picked them up in Victoria this past sunday and very likely drove past your place due to the road closure at Goldstream and resulting detour route on Finlayson Arm to Millstream. I am located in Errington,about 15 minute from downtown Parksville. If I'm not working during the DIY fest I'd love to swing by for a visit this summer.

Frank
Old 21st April 2011, 04:04 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You aren't too, too far from Don (aka Doorman), he is in Royston.

Yes you would have driven right past. When the road goes from nice to shabby, and you see the entering Langford sign you have just driven past (assumming you are heading home)

8th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2011

dave
Old 27th April 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello Frank:
I checked my library and I do not have pictures of the build. The design was called Fe127 Alegria.
Dave may have more info?

Good luck

Hide this!Advertise here!